Green Hair Algae

jabrbox

I am going to add GFO to my tank hopefully this weekend (thanks for all of the advice here) I also heard that GFO and 3 days of darkness really helps kill it off, so my question is this a good idea? Or can I just shut down the MH but keep the act T5's (blue) on for the time, or will my corals not appreciate this?

Thanks

Also should I add GFO and Phos media to the reactor, or one at a time? until its under control? (scratch)

GFO is phos media...same stuff

as for lighting, you could probably leave actinic lights on for the dark-out, but you might as well turn them off too...you can enjoy the tank in a week, skipping 3-5 days won't kill you (or your corals).

my best advice is herbivores and refugiums though. But I think we already covered that.

I've heard some advice that the balance between cyano and GHA is mostly phosphate-dependant. higher ratio of phosphate (compared to nitrate) will lend itself toward cyano, lower phosphate will tend to grow GHA, so I kinda doubt how much adding GFO will help rid yourself of the GHA...but as long as you add it slowly (read up on starting GFO treatment, adding too much too fast can shock a tank), it won't hurt anything.