Franks unnamed Blue Tort / Something I've never seen

Rick T

A couple months back I picked up a frag of Franks Unnamed Tort (BTW: I think this should be named "Franks Unnamed Tort"). I mounted it on a small rock and it's gone nuts nearly doubling in size (IE: get a frag of this awesome SPS)

Now the odd part... I moved it a few days ago. With the placement I ended up rotating it 180 so I can see the side I haven't been observing

On this side of the colony there are 4 "mouths" (there where 3 but it's grown another that I thought was one dying) that send out a barnacle like sweeper. The sweeper is fan like (not fan worm like in that fan worms have the inside out umbrella thing going but fan like as somewhat flat but cupped to catch things) and seems to be able to rotate to meet the changing needs of the current

Is this something unusual or just something noobie me hasn't seen before?

BTW: CCing this at RC

I don't think it is part of the coral. It sounds like a barnacle type critter that started to grow there and the coral is trying to grow around it.

You see stuff like that on newly shipped stuff. I find it hard to keep them alive as they need food to catch in the water. Or the coral will out grow it and cover it over.

Good luck with it and try to keep it alive there cool to watch.

I'm not sure how long Frank has had his mother colony but I agree it "looks" like encrusted barnacles but being it's a frag from an established coral I find it interesting

Here's a "my camera sucks" pic

The 4 "mouths" are the teardrop/oval shaped things... One closed near the bottom, one open and sweeping and one closed about 1/3rd up and one open just above the half way mark.

You can't see the sweepers in the pic as they are near translucent and like I say... crappy camera (the shadow you see is the front of the camera reflected on the glass)

BlueTort.jpg

Again CCd in RC

I will have to say, that is a funny place to see them.

I wonder how they got started on the live part of the growing coral.

I thought it was pretty unusual myself.

I've never seen anything like it... I guess there's no end to the fascinating things we run into with this hobby