Regal/Royal angelfish??

♥Heart of the Reef♥

hey everyone.. can you help me out??

I have always wanted a royal/regal angel.

I never see them in stores, or hear anyone mention them

Anyone here kept one/ had experience with them?

I'm just wondering if anyone is keeping one with success?

What are the problems associated with keeping them?

Are they hard to come by??

[ATTACH]12573[/ATTACH]

post-8768-141867788859_thumb.jpg

I have a pair of yellow belly red sea regals in my tank and I went through 2 individuals prior to getting my pair. They tend to be super picky eaters at first and have to be weaned onto frozen foods. They are used to picking food from the reef, so many will only eat things like clam on the half shell. Great fish but they are not really reef safe as they will pick on softies and LPS. Great fish for a SPS tank!

Are they really hard to keep a live? once you get them use to frozen food are you out of the woods? do other complications come into play. I would really like to get one at some point, but i want to have a good idea what i am getting myself into first. If i get one from a store does that mean they probably have already been weaned to frozen foods??

thanks guys

I've had good luck with them after weaning them to frozen food. Some lfs will train them to eat frozen, others won't. I always tryed to get all the fish eating before selling them. Ask the lfs to feed them before purchasing in order to ensure they're eating.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Are they really hard to keep a live? once you get them use to frozen food are you out of the woods? do other complications come into play. I would really like to get one at some point, but i want to have a good idea what i am getting myself into first. If i get one from a store does that mean they probably have already been weaned to frozen foods??

thanks guys

These are definitly one of the harder angels to adapt to captive life. the smaller ones seem to do better. A proper QT is a MUST as many of them come in with parasites like flukes. I ended up paying a small fortune and bought mine paired up already quarantined and eating frozen foods from Live Aquaria Divers Den.

These angels are finicky eaters for sure. I would only get the I.O or Red Sea variety (yellow chest/belly) as these are much hardier than the Pacific ones. Blanched zucchini and broccoli can be offered to help them take captive food stuff.

Smaller is better for acclimation to captivity.

Got zoas? Regal's love to eat them. IMO, this alone is reason enough to house one in my own reef :)

Archived