Need skimmer advice

Gilliroo

We have an Avast cone skimmer that seems to skim really well. I'm having an issue with it, though, and I don't know what's causing it. Three times recently we have come home to the skimmer overflowing into the sump. Each time, it had been skimming well, and there had a been about an inch of dark skimmate in the cup. It wasn't immediately after a big water change or big feeding, nothing new to the tank, etc. The water level in that chamber of the sump really doesn't fluctuate. Nothing died in the tank.

I'm mystified. Each time, its dumped gross skimmate back into the system, which is not good. Am I doing something wrong in adjusting the level in the skimmer? Each time, it's been skimming pretty dry until it freaks out. Once it freaks out, I have to open the gate up all the way to keep it from overflowing, then gradually close it back down. The water level it is sitting in is within the range recommended by the manufacturer.

What am I missing here?

Thanks for the advice.

Gillian

I had something like this happen to me the first time a ran a cone skimmer. Didn't realise had to keep the water level and bubbles level lower than I was use to. Kinda of hard to explain .... if you want to give me a call 503-969-2008

Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk

I had something like this happen to me the first time a ran a cone skimmer. Didn't realise had to keep the water level and bubbles level lower than I was use to. Kinda of hard to explain .... if you want to give me a call 503-969-2008

Aha. Do I need to set it so it looks like the bubbles won't reach the top? I've been keeping it so the bubbles are just barely reaching the top of the cup, but it's still producing dark skimmate. Does the bubble level fluctuate periodically? Like, more than with non-cone skimmers?

And that's a good idea to call customer service. Why didn't I think of that?

I don't think there are any critters blocking the outflow, but I'll definitely check. It's only been running for 2-3 months, so it's pretty clean in there still. Well, it was clean until the skimmer started overflowing, that is! I guess my old skimmer wasn't as strong. The stuff this thing pulls is NASTY. I wish I had a hazmat suit every time I clean the collection cup. But, that's the point, right? Still. Ew.

Thanks for the advice.

Gillian

I keep mine below the neck after a few min you will see a dry foam move up the neck. Something about the cone pushes the dry foam up. I was having the same problem.

Awesome. Thanks so much, Frank!

a little late, but:

my skimmer gets a pretty harsh line between water with bubbles and all-bubbles. I keep mine so that line is 1-2" below the top of the neck, it pushes the foam up when it's nasty enough. I typically wipe the inside of the neck clean (with my finger...yes, it's gross) 1-2 days after I clean the cup and then I clean the cup about 2 days after wiping the neck so it gets wiped about 2x week and cleaned about 2x per week. that might be an exageration, maybe it's 1x each...whatever.

point is: as the neck gets dirty, the foam doesn't rise very well, so watch that. I'm hoping to get an avast skimmer at some point and thinking about getting the 'swabbie' have you thought about that?

Archived