Homebrew using RODI water

Nate213

Last night I kegged up my most recent homebrew. It was a double IPA recipe that I have done many times before. This time though I used RODI water. Tried it tonight and I gotta say it is better than when I use our tap water. We have well water and it has high mineral content, so that is most likely the difference. Just thought I'd share because I know all you homebrewers have wondered about using it.

Care to share the recipe? I'm looking to brew in the next few weeks, and IPAs are my favorite. I haven't had much time to brew lately since my son was born, but i'm getting the itch again.

Just filled my keg with Alphadelic IPA at Hop Valley so I am set for a few weeks but I gotta get a pipeline going again :D

not surprised, beer is almost 100% water (by weight and volume), very little of anything else realistically. should make a difference with coffee and tea and the like as well. I used to work for Starbucks, we had a filter system for the water because corporate doesn't trust tap water, they have every location use water they filter themselves.

definitely makes a difference. I'm planning on using at least 3-stage water for brewing, maybe RO/DI.

side-note: Corvallis's water is of such super-high quality (my wife is a water treatment chemist for a 3rd party and is very impressed with our water's specs), I'm thinking about trying just using 3-stage water for my tank. I'd probably get new filters of finer stages (10uM doesn't really do anything for city water). I think I'll pull some water pre-RO and have her test some parameters at her work. probably fluoride, TSS and TDS and a full-metal panel

Sorry for the mini-hijack.

now:(backtotopic)

Speaking of brewing...

Anybody make mead?

I've made mead. It reminds me of making extract brews, but it takes much less time because your boil time isn't 1+ hours. Fermentation is a completely different story though as mead doesn't have that explosive fermentation that beer has.

Archived