The next step 45 Gallon

obeasethug

Ok so I have finally upgraded and got a 45 gallon acrylic setup off of cl. I had to remove some scratches, but it is looking good after a little bit of work.

Specs, 45 gallon display, built in overflow, 4 T5 HO bulbs attached to hood (not in a fixture), 20 gallon sump that i divided, have a chamber to grow some macro, protein skimmer, return pump, and a power head.

Until now i have had FOWLR, so hopefully moving in the right direction to expand into a reef tank. Current inhabitants, 2 clowns and a 6 line wrasse, a couple hermits and a handfull of snails. And not enough live rock.

IMG_0628.jpg

IMG_0629.jpg

IMG_0630.jpg

Finally a few questions for the experienced. What light requirements are needed for Macro algae, will a regular 60w full spectrum bulb work? So far i have just had a pile of live rock, but think i need to somehow attach it and get more larger pieces to fill up my new tank. Recommendations for aquascaping with rock, and anyone have some live rock for sale? And the fun part what critters should i get to keep my other fish company?

Trying to learn my way through this so any help is appriciated. Thank you.

Congrads I love upgrades (clap)

For the sump just a 6500 K daylight bulb in a cheap reflector will do just fine. It works well on my 75 gallon. I bought a grow light strip for my 125 and that also works well. Either choice less then $20.

I love all my critters but have been suprized by how much I enjoy the inverts. A few shrimp and crabs really make your tank look much more natural. I also love my featherdusters. There are so many options for fish, inverts and coral its endless. Thats part of the fun :)

By the way what are the dimentions of that tank? I don't think I've seen a 45 before.

Archived