Turning off the lights (Temporarily)

alittlemark

I got my quarantine tank up and running this weekend, and I finally caught my fish and put them in it (they were exposed to ich a couple of weeks ago). I have a toadstool coral, some zoas, and a 1 inch Xenia that remain.

My plan, during the next 6 weeks, is to run the lights as little as possible (in the main tank), and add no food. I would like to kill off the cyanobacteria that I have in the tank.

I guess my questions are:

Will an approach like this reduce my cyanobacteria, or do I have to take more drastic measures?

How much light do I have to give the corals during this period, and how will I know if they don't get enough?

Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

I have found with cyano that reduced light helps. What worked best in the past for me was manual scrubbing followed by large water change. Then increase the flow inside your tank. I have found that cyano always starts first in my "dead spots" of flow. The corals you have are pretty low light. So a reduction in light schedule should be fine. I would back them down to like 6-8 hours a day. Hope this helps.

I dont think you can run without the lights enough to kill off the cyano without harming the corals. You need to attack the cyanos nutrient source. Running phosphate reducer? Good flow.

Too much is when they start bleaching out. I have a feeling the cyano can last longer.

Archived