please ID this.. algae or something

jmetz32

+1 cyano.

try increasing flow to those areas/siphon it out (should come right out with a siphon, try using airline to give you more time)

sometimes conch's will eat it, but siphoning and keeping low nutrients is your best bet. you can also increase skimming/water changes while you turn the lights out for 4-5 days (keep it dark), but make sure to do a big water change near the end cause as it dies (from lack of light), it'll release nutrients that'll just cause it to start growing again unless you cut it back.

+1 cyano.

try increasing flow to those areas/siphon it out (should come right out with a siphon, try using airline to give you more time)

sometimes conch's will eat it, but siphoning and keeping low nutrients is your best bet. you can also increase skimming/water changes while you turn the lights out for 4-5 days (keep it dark), but make sure to do a big water change near the end cause as it dies (from lack of light), it'll release nutrients that'll just cause it to start growing again unless you cut it back.

how would you do a blackout with corals that thrive on light? i have a bad outbreak in my sump and it is now starting in my main tank. I am going to keep my sump light off for the 4-5 days and see if it dies off but I dont know what to do with my main tank

• 2 weeks later...

I have it too all over the bottom of my tank. I syphoned it out but still made a mess. I have a feeling it will be an ongoing

issue.

backoftank.jpg

This is growing in patches in my tank... it is a redish purple.. has little bubbles in it...

what is this?

and is it bad?

thanks

Archived