Wierd Shrimp in Sump...ID?

ReefSafari

So I was doing some maintance on my system this weekend, and was just checking out the sump and everythig that was in there, and I had placed this peice of filter pad around the outlet of my skimmer and noticed something on it, after looking closely I saw what is a Shrimp of some kind, one pincher bigger than the other, and its about 1/4-1/2 inch long, and here is when things got interesting, I thought this is cool, I wonder if its hungry, so I took a little peice of Mysis shrimp and tongs and stuck it down right infront of it, all of a sudden I heard this clicking/popping sound, and it looked like it was trying to flick its big claw at the peice of mysis, I am guessing its some kind of "Pistol Shrimp"?? I have no idea how I got it, and I am afraid of moving it to the display cause its so small, Curious what you all think?

2012-02-11221130.jpg

2012-02-11221107.jpg

2012-02-11221048.jpg

Probably a pistol' date=' let it get bigger befor trying to move it to the display. Throw a small chunk of rock down there to give him something to live in. Cool little find![/quote']

Cool, Thanks! I do have a Yellow Watchman Goby...Do you think if it grows and I am able to move it to the display that these two would possibly pair up? Is this the type of shrimp that pairs up with this type of Goby?

2012-01-29192045.jpg

Is there any negative downsides to having these in your display? once larger can they kill anything like my fish? I watched a video on Utube showing them attacking and killing a Cleaner Shrimp, and I was just thinking how I might like to add one or two to the display. Do they get more colorful as they get older? this thing is a dirty brown coloration...

I have a randall's pistol that's paired with my wheeler's watchman goby. I'm not an expert, but it looks a lot like my randall's.

I think all the watchman gobies tend to work with pistols, but I don't think it's ever a guarrantee. I'll also say that my pistol is a total scardy-cat, runs off to it's cave at even the slightest movement nearby, I have seen it go after a hermit's shell when the hermit was backing towards the cave entrance, but that's it. the goby is more defensive than the pistol...

Archived