Blue Carpet Anemone

nhoffee

Hey All, I just found my Blue Carpet Anemone dead *sniff*. What I don't get is both my other Anemone (Green Carpet and RBT) are both happy campers. I did a water test my Ammonia is on the very low side (think because the anemone died) less then .01. I also did a Nitrate test and that was around the 10ppm. I already did a water change a few 30 mins ago 1210am 1FEB2012. I will do another water test in the morning. Any other ideas why it could have died and my other anemones' are untouched? Oh no temp swings. 78-80. Calcium is at 430, mag 1400, alk 10.

They only thing I can think of is my new (around a week) Refugium.

Any ideas why it could have died. I added a few fish to the tank at the same time as the Anemone.

Blue carpets have a notorious low survival rate. If you can get them past the six week mark, they tend to be hardy. Some of my public aquarium buddies suspect bacterial infections from shipping. In general....green carpets do better than blue......and haddoni does better than giganteas. Your experience is the norm unfortunately.......look great for a week or two......then melt down.

That's a bummer. I agree with the an above poster that they can die unexpectedly within a couple weeks of shipment or

transport. I've had mine for awhile now and its doing well, but I was pretty scared over the first couple weeks. It moved all over the place and was really expelling its stomach a lot. Unfortunately these things happen and I'm sure it's nothing you did and just bad luck.

I have a 210 gallon tank. 55g sump, a euro reef skimmer. I run carbon and Gfo always. 500lbs of LR and 200 lbs LS. The 2 fish are a powder blue and powder black tang. Before that it had hippo, naso, and yellow. Plus a clown and a few more gobies.

Blue carpets have a notorious low survival rate. If you can get them past the six week mark' date=' they tend to be hardy. Some of my public aquarium buddies suspect bacterial infections from shipping. In general....green carpets do better than blue......and haddoni does better than giganteas. Your experience is the norm unfortunately.......look great for a week or two......then melt down.[/quote']

110% right!!!! I lucked out and picked mine up from the whole seller who had it for a few months on a system that was running O-zone which helps kill any bacteria in the system. The carpet I had has now made its way to salt water fantaseas display tank and has been in captivity for over 6 or more years, good luck man and try o-zone!

Archived