SPS and LED's

mattv

Tell me how many totm are running leds on there sps tanks? The nicest tanks in the world run mh and t5. Where are you coming from?

Actually quite a few are starting to make the jump. LEDs are still relatively new, and have made huge strides in the last couple years (as we can see from the growth in Matt's tank in this thread). But on your logic if a totm runs koralia 4's they must be equal to vortech's right?

Either way, you can have very successful tanks running all different kinds of light, but to say one isnt better than the other id be interested to see what type of LEDs you tried to that lead you to that opinion? I personally have tried halides, t5's, and LEDs and am running leds for multiple reasons, improved coral health and growth being one of them.

Tell me how many totm are running leds on there sps tanks? The nicest tanks in the world run mh and t5. Where are you coming from?

If you look on most of the fourms right now you will see some of the nicest tanks are running LED's. I have been in this hobby for 17yrs and have seen tanks and ran tanks with everything from VHO to LED's . I have to say right now with LED's I have not seen the growth and the colors I'm seeing now. They have never been better. I truly do believe this is a change in lighting for reefing. For the better!

LEDs is a new concept and many tanks are just starting; that is why you don't see more totm. I was once told you could not get enough PAR with 1w LEDs. I got 320 @ 24" with 1w LEDs which is probably more than most 3w. There are many paths to one destination. No matter which way people choose to light their tank; their way would be the best way as long as they are happy. We are always looking for ways to save energy and resources. The world will always evolve, so just embrace it!

Your saying leds are superior to mh and t5 and far as growth and color is way way off base. I agree that LEDs are great and can grow some great sps but to say there better is simply not true.

I guess it comes down to what you define as 'better.' Because right now leds are outperforming the other lighting in PAR, growth, and some think color (myself and many on this forum who have switched). I have seen better growth, polyp extension, etc switching from halides. They can be customized, dimmed, create less heat, substantially cut down on electricity bills, and eliminate most people's need for a chiller. And I won't have to worry about replacing bulbs. Also from the look of how many people are switching over there has to be some benefit.

Either way, this thread is getting way off topic so I am done discussing this here.

On a different note I saw Matt's tanks today, great looking setup, and a beautiful bunch of tanks he has, near perfect size display IMO.

I would like to know where is base from??? If you haven’t ran them or tried them. I know of more than few that have tried MH, T-5, and LED's (note quality LED's) and have had very good growth and color so it is equal to if not better. So not sure how you can say it’s not true if it is proven by people who have tried them. Here is a great tank that is all LED's and why I change to LED's.

FYS1-27-12.jpg

Sorry for jacking your thread!!!!!!!!

LEDs are not proven to last 10 yers like manufactor states, remember how long they said t5 would last? They don't have better par, I have seen probably 10 different par readings from all types of leds from ai sol to radion to DIY LEDs. Also they don't save much money on electricity when you factor in the fact your heaters will run all the the time now. Like I said before the top notch reefers in the world are still using mh and they have some of the best colors you'll ever see.

I agree My fiance bought me an LED fixture off ebay ($185 waay cheap) I got it the Friday before Valentines Day and in just 2 weeks I've seen the most growth I've ever seen. (and it's definitely not any of the other 100 factors as the light is the only thing that has changed.) People can be skeptical all they like results speak for themselves. Move over metal halides reef capable led's are here and they're only getting better.

Archived