Cuttlefish on Nova

andy

I watched it and it was really cool' date=' especially in HD. I think it is irresponsible to keep cephlapods in home aquaria just for the simple fact that they are so short lived.[/quote']

I disagree...if they are bred in captivity and it is a fact that they are short lived in general, then if you take care of them in the home aquarium...there there is nothing wrong with that. They are naturally short lived, that is not our fault.

Different strokes, I guess. I see where you are coming from wrt captive bred specimens, I just don't want to keep an animal that has enough personality for me to get attached to it knowing it's going to die in a year.

I just don't want to keep an animal that has enough personality for me to get attached to it knowing it's going to die in a year.

I completely understand and totally agree this aspect of it and can see where you are coming from...I just to not see it as irresponsible.

I think it would be irresponsible, if they had a life span of 10 years and in an aquarium only lasted 2 years for whatever reason, and we as hobbyists continued to house them.

Actally....in some cases captive held/bred fish/animals can live much longer in captivity. But I have often looked at my big fat healthy yellow tang and wish he had more then 48 inches to run. Matter of fact....if I could afford to send him to Hawaii and have him released I would do it...I like him that much that I wish he were free on the reef. At the same time I justify buying saltwater fish for myself by thinking that I can provide better conditions then the average saltwater tank owner. At least I like to think so. And if I quit purchasing them then some other person would just buy them....so why not me. Perhaps I think too much..hehehe

Jay