Heaters

larrybeck

So, I'm wondering what type of heaters those of you with big tanks are using. I need to get about 2000w of heat in my 300g display + 100g sump system. I definitely want to go with titanium heaters, as I've had enough of glass heaters breaking. I'll be using a controller with temp probe to control them.

Ideas?

thanks!

Larry

Where did you get that figure? Thats a lot of heater for that volume. I always undersize heaters. Equipment does some heating. You dont want to cook it. What is your room temp where the tank is? If you do use 2000 watts you will need to wire up their own circuit. Thats like 17 amps in heater alone. I would go with like 2-300 watters to be honest and go from there. MAYBE 2 500 watters

Also larger volume is in your favor. Usually they are thick glass or acrylic which insulates well, and the larger volume holds temps longer. You just need big enough to keep temps up

finnex all the way. I have a 800W on my 240 total volume hooked up to my Reef Keeper Elite and it is amazing. Plus all titanium and not super expensive. here is a link to the one I got.

http://www.aquacave.com/finnex-800w-deluxe-brtitanium-heating-tube-1924.html

From what I've seen online it appears that these require the Finnex temperature controller, and they don't seem to have standard 3-prong plugs. Are the photos misleading? If not, can you describe how you've got yours wired in?

Where did you get that figure? Thats a lot of heater for that volume. I always undersize heaters. Equipment does some heating. You dont want to cook it. What is your room temp where the tank is? If you do use 2000 watts you will need to wire up their own circuit. Thats like 17 amps in heater alone. I would go with like 2-300 watters to be honest and go from there. MAYBE 2 500 watters

Also larger volume is in your favor. Usually they are thick glass or acrylic which insulates well, and the larger volume holds temps longer. You just need big enough to keep temps up

I ran my setup through 3 of the online calculators and was getting back 2000+ watts on each one.

The setup is a 60x48x24 tank, 1/2" acrylic, open top. The sump is 36x48x16, 3/8" acrylic, open top. I would have expected to need 1000w at first guess and was also somewhat surprised at the calculator results. If you have a calculator you recommend I'll plug it in and see what it says. Overnight room temps are 62 in winter and I need the tank to remain at 78. I think that's what's driving the higher demand.

I have 2 300w units with a Ranco controller on my AGA 125g and they work fairly hard to maintain the temp.

Most likely I'll go with 500w units, start with 2, and add a 3rd (and 4th) if needed to maintain overnight temps.

Did you have a brand you like, MVP?

one better here are better pics of the plug. It is connected to my pc4 and controlled from my RKE head unit threw the temp probe. Thats all there is to it.

Pictures are certainly worth 1000 words - thanks! So it appears the units do actually come with 3 prong cables as well as the (proprietary?) controller cable.

I bought two 500 watt finnex heaters from BRS to add to the 300 watter I already had that I planed on using (all 3) for my 400 gallon tank-I have 2 sumps and a frag tank and figure my total working water volume is around 550-

I have 1 of the 500 watters hooked up -(laugh) and it keeps my tank in the 75-76 range I have my controller set for-granted the room I built is insulated so depending on where yuo plan to place the tank will play a big role.

Finnex for sizes 500 and above.

I bought two 500 watt finnex heaters from BRS

Finnex appears to be the leader amongst this small sampling group - that's great to know. I didn't realize the BRS was carrying heaters, but I'm glad to hear they are as I need to get some other supplies from them as well and always appreciate jumping on our group guys to make good prices even better. Thanks guys!

I bought two 500 watt finnex heaters from BRS to add to the 300 watter I already had that I planed on using (all 3) for my 400 gallon tank-I have 2 sumps and a frag tank and figure my total working water volume is around 550-

I have 1 of the 500 watters hooked up -(laugh) and it keeps my tank in the 75-76 range I have my controller set for-granted the room I built is insulated so depending on where yuo plan to place the tank will play a big role.

What's your lowest ambient room temperature? I suspect the reason I'm being guided toward more wattage is the large temperature differential I have (16 degrees).

So the consistent message I'm hearing is that I shouldn't need 2000 watts, and that Finnex titanium heaters are a good performer for units over 500 watts. I think I'm going to go with a pair, and then add as necessary. I'm a big believer in not overdoing the heat capacity due to the risk of boiling the tank (hence my use of Ranco controllers on my other big tanks along with multiple smaller heaters) but also know that the 16 degrees that I'm asking them to raise the temps every night is larger than the norm, so my requirement may also be bigger that most.

Thanks everyone for the insights and help!

What's your lowest ambient room temperature? I suspect the reason I'm being guided toward more wattage is the large temperature differential I have (16 degrees).

the room probably does nopt drop below 66 maybe 68-Its part of the garage I framed in for the tank room but like I said I insulated it-Just walls, the ceiling is not insulated at all

So the consistent message I'm hearing is that I shouldn't need 2000 watts, and that Finnex titanium heaters are a good performer for units over 500 watts. I think I'm going to go with a pair, and then add as necessary. I'm a big believer in not overdoing the heat capacity due to the risk of boiling the tank (hence my use of Ranco controllers on my other big tanks along with multiple smaller heaters) but also know that the 16 degrees that I'm asking them to raise the temps every night is larger than the norm, so my requirement may also be bigger that most.

Thanks everyone for the insights and help!

I am guessing but even with a 16 degree swin in room temp the tank is not feeling the effect of that swing and the heater will be kicking on to maintain what ever you program-Two is safe, it gives you one as a back up.

When I had the 2-500's hooked up they were controlled via my apex on the EB8 (power strip) with everything else, I had them both set at the same program, so when the temp dropped below 75.0 they turned on. The first time that happened it flipped the breaker (laugh), which is a dedicated 15 amp plug (I added a sub panel for my tank) something to keep in mind is the amps you will be pulling if everyting fires up at one time-DOH!

Good luck with the build

Archived