55 gallon build

kriswaters

I have an octopus skimmer as well. Have you done any mods to it?

On mine i modded the needlewheel impeller with mesh, opened up the elbow going into the skimmer from the pump, and changed the venturi. With these mods i'm getting close to twice the skimmate i was previously.

Ha! Do i have pictures :rolleyes: (nutty)

I used my dremel and a sanding drum to open up that elbow more that goes from the output of the pump into the skimmer body.

Here is the mesh on my impeller

100_0092.jpg

100_0091.jpg

The next limiting factor on these skimmers IMO is the venturi. The airway makes a 90 degree bend inside that grey fitting, and the opening at the bend is actually smaller than the rest. I had to put water down the venturi airline about every 2 or 3 days otherwise it would clog with salt creep. So i drilled out the venturi opening and inserted my own soft airline tubing. This has done wonders for this skimmer. The output riser tube now can't be higher than the bottom of the union on the collection cup or it overflows. I get some real nasty skimmate now!

100_0093.jpg

100_0153.jpg

100_0156.jpg

100_0158.jpg

100_0160.jpg

100_0165.jpg

100_0167.jpg

Interesting about the venturi....I broke it off one day while fiddling with it. I then super glued it back on and wondered?? This doesn't get much air! I will try that one. What type of mesh did you use for the needle wheel? How did you attach it? As for the elbow from the pump to the skimmer...elaborate on that as I don't quite understand.

Thanks for the info.

Kris

Its called enkamat i think. There is a large thread over at RC, titles meshwheel friggin rocks on genx4100. Its REALLY long but there are lots of links to places selling the mesh. I attached it using 3 small zip ties.

On that elbow, i removed it and used a small sanding drum on the inside of it. I took out maybe 1/16" of the plastice to allow more flow thru it.

Miles, how is the noise level since doing those mods? I have been meaning to do the venturi mod but I am concerned about noise.

Also, did you just drill straight through the venturi? It take a 90 degree turn, so if you didnt drill straight through, how did you manage to make the turn?

Its just as quiet now as it was out of the box. I have a silencer on the airline, so i can't hear that at all. If i remove the silencer, i can hear the venturi sucking air but with it its silent

Yah i just drilled straight thru at an angle. My thinking was to get the end of the airline as close to the impeller as i could. I've seen a lot of ppl have just as much success drilling it straight down and inserting some ro tubing straight down into the incoming water stream.

Do either of you have trouble with restarts??? BTW...Got 4 snails today...those puppies have gone non-stop. The already have half of my rock clean!!! I pumped up the skimmer to "wet" and the junk the snails are letting loose is making some nice (if you can call it that) skimmate. Hopefully, in a day or two, I will have some nice clean pics.

Its been 22 days....

Ph 8.2

Alk 4.0

Nitrite....00000

Nitrate....2

Ammon...nil...and has been since the start

temp 79

salinity 1.025

If you pump doesnt restart, call the manufacturer. That is unless you have moded a bunch of things. WHen I got my PCI Reef Octopus 2000 recirc. the pump didnt restart. Ryan at advanced talked to PCI and got it replaced for me.

I just emptied out some nasty guck from the skimmer today. For now I will hold off on any mods. I would like to find that balance between under and over skimming! For now it is working wonders. The snails have contributed greatly...albeit the only realize there is rock on one side of the tank LOL. They have eaten as well as kicked up alot of junk and the tank is looking pretty good. I ordered my lights the other day. Hopefully GOOD lighting will improve the situation.

Kris

Oh the money....I used to show horses and drop 1k easily at a horse show. This is a much cheaper hobby....trust me. Plus the fish don't kick, tromp, run you over, step on your foot, buck you off or dump you in a huge jump!

As for the time and patience...."it's in there".

Kris

My lights arrived today, but unfortunately three out of the four were broken. You would thinik that with all the fragile stickers they would be a little more careful. Anyways the moon lights look "totally wicked".(squirt from finding nemo)"fin, noggin, dude!!!"

I requested, nicely, for replacement ASAP, we'll see what happens!

TTLY

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got all of my lights. I will definately need to add a small fan in the sump area during the summer! It heated the tank up quite well with all four going.

The snails are well...just picked up a few more margarita snails. I know they aren't suppose to last in warmer water, but they clean the rocks so well!!!!

Along with the 2 mexican turbos and another "conch" type and 4 little blue legged hermits...the tank is looking better.

I am researching livestock to "clean my sand" now. I have had alot of people say that gobies do well.

Any imput from you all would be great.

On another note, my first batch of live rock is nearly done. I did a water change today and will measure the PH tomorrow. If ok, I will move it to some RO water and retest it again. Hopefully, it will add some depth to my aquascape. I just refinshed my bathroom and made about 50lbs more with left over mortar. It is soaking as of today. Hopefully it will turn out as well.

Will update with a few pics soon.

Kris

Looking forward to the pics!

I like nassarius and cerith snails for sifting the sand. The nassarius snails burrow into the sand during the day and come out anytime you feed and at night. The ceriths eat algae really well and also burrow thru the sand.

Oh the money....I used to show horses and drop 1k easily at a horse show. This is a much cheaper hobby....trust me. Plus the fish don't kick, tromp, run you over, step on your foot, buck you off or dump you in a huge jump!

As for the time and patience...."it's in there".

Kris

Then your getting the wrong kind of fish... (laugh) (laugh) (laugh) (laugh)

Then your getting the wrong kind of fish... (laugh) (laugh) (laugh) (laugh)

(clap) I will avoid those fishes that tromp, kick and buck you off....hopefully the ones that bite as well..

As for the MH's...T5's for me for now. I couldn't afford the electric bill on those puppies!!!

Kris