Ozonizer ???

Frank

I rand one for years without using any filter on it, it runs through your skimmer and basicaly it is like a lightning strike and it purifys the air. When you hook it up start on a low setting and moniter it, and adjust. If you open your stand in the morning and smell a bleach like smell then it is on to high and turn it down. Basicaly the ozone supper purifys the air and when that air goes into the skimmer, anything that touches that bubble is killed, and then it is easyer for the skimmer to remove it. While I ran it I never had an issue with ick! The only reason I don't have one going now is I sold the one I had when I got out several years ago, and they are expencive!! But I do plan on getting another one! When I was at Souta's the last time I noticed they still sell (it is whare I got my first one) a cheep one for $40, it is what I plan on spending my X-mas $ on this year!!

I dont recommend it. Ozone is highly toxic and can even hurt you or anyone in the room. Its not natural. Maybe on the nicest acro tanks but those arent for beginners either. Ozone is O3 and oxygen is O2. Therefore you are adding another oxygen into the skimmer. Its like adding another third to your skimmer. But it can be finiky to get down and the mishaps can be disasterous. I dont do ozone.

Ozone can be useful, but it can be very bad. the reason is that ozone is extremely unstable (read: reactive) this is the exact reason that it kills things in the skimmer. if dosed perfectly, it all reacts in the skimmer and none (or essentially none) gets out to the rest of the tank, but if there's too much O3 input for the skimmer, there will be this highly reactive molecule in the tank which damages inverts, corals, fish, bacteria (the good kind too), you dog, your houseplants, macroalgae and yourself. obviously there are different levels that are tolerable for different things, and ozone is a very effective cholorine replacement in hot tubs, but it has to be done right.

the main thing ozone is really good at is killing all forms of life. each form has a different tolerance, and in theory you're focussing the dose in the skimmer, but that means that roughly everything in the skimmer will die...is that what you want? what if you over-dose? I think using a controller is a must (as reef165 said), but overall I'm not sure it's worth the risk...

It can be dangerous but so can gasoline if Not used with caution...if you read and learn about it, you'll be fine...if it was so.incredibly terrible you would not be able to buy it on the open market...but it freaks some people out...

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Totally true...I just don't think it's worth the risk unless you have livestock that's that sensitive. I can see it acting like a uv sterilizer (as reef165 said), but it'll kill everything...not just the bad (just like UV). true most good bacteria are in the rocks/substrate, but any bacterium or copepod or anything that gets into the skimmer is as good as dead. Mostly, I think it's too risky w/o a controller or at least daily testing (preferably morning and night). and what if you're controller goes out? does it default to off? research makes a lot of things ok...this is one to not slack on the research for.

I'm glad Frank's taking the time to dig into it. I guess I'd say don't just use it because you have it...use it if you need it to solve a problem. KISS

I would agree about the controler if it was a unit that produced 250mg or higher, but he stated that it is a 50mg so it is quite low, mine was a 50mg, it was on a 220 total volume system and I ran it at about 50% and I never had any issues, I even ran it at 100% for a day once and never smelt any bleach smell. As for it killing everything, yes it can, but on the small chance there is a pod or two getting into the skimmer, who really cares in the big pic....

I didn't realize the size...true statement.if he's running a tank as big as your 220, I'd imagine it's hard to go wrong with the 50mg.

as for things getting killed in it, rare for a pod, but it seems like the same % of good bacteria are getting killed as bad ones...same for ich, same for most things. Seems like it mostly just cuts back on the overall microbe population of the tank and a strong GOOD microbe system is the best thing for defeating bad microbes (that's why your doc says to eat yogurt when you're on antibiotics)

I'm not diametrically opposed to it, but if you don't need it, why add the variable?

I know there are prob studies that will prove me wrong, but I don't think that there is very much "good" bacteria in the water coloum, and what is there IMO is disposable. IMO the reward outweighs the risk, kinda like running a cal reactor without a controler, CO2 or high cal, can just as easly destroy the tank.

Archived