Hitchhiker Anemone ID

DChemist

I got a quick response from Ron Shimek...

Hi,

You asked,
"Could this be Actinodendron or Phymanthus or something else?"

I think the best answer is, "Yes."
Wink.gif

Definitely, it is a branched anemone. It could be a juvenile of a species in either of the genera you have mentioned, or in another related genus. There are probably around 30 potential species that it might be. Frankly, distinguishing these species is difficult and needs animals that are really somewhat larger. Some of the branching characteristics will not show up until the animal is bigger.

The common name for any number of these animals is "Hell's Fire" anemone, referring to the delightful sensation one get when stung. These animals are dangerous, and it is not related to size. Not only is the venom of the sting potent, but one can be allergic to them, so... plan ahead, and don't get stung. If you do get stung once, don't do a second time (one can become sensitized to the venom).

Sorry not to be of more help. It is a neat animal, and if I had it in my tank, I would do everything I could to keep it happy.
BigGrin.gif

But, I like odd anemones.
w00t.gif

Cheers, Ron

I give you 5 bucks if you touch it

haha

that thing looks like a snowflake..very cool! Nice score!

Not for 5 bucks... How about for a frag?(laugh)

Sixty-five-- No fear here. It's pretty small now and I can't imagine it would be worse than my rabbitfish. Just keeping the antihistamine handy...

Inside the bicep is the best place for that special First Sting. I had a Arctic Red Jellyfish washed over my arm while bodysurfing in Prince Edward Island -- felt like I got hit by a propane torch :-(

It is doing well- and feeding. The oral disk seems to be picking up a little color- light greenish/yellow. Hasn't moved from his spot at the base of the Xenia.

Have yours moved from the rock you brought them in on?

Yes they did...Joel had them under a t-5 or two and not in very high flow...I had in high light and moderate flow...they have moved to less flow and shaded and seem to be staying put. Mine also has good color, greenish/yellowish...These can really move, they were almost walking, it surprised me.

But these are very cool and should be interesting to see how it goes...

I touched one with my index finger, but that is pretty tough skin, and I did not feel anything.

• 3 weeks later...