Drill hole in 10gallon tanks

ibondy

They arent bad really as far as drilling, i always break them by twisting plumbing wrong, they dont flex at all. I was always told glass can bend up to its thickness before breaking. 10s are 1/8 inch. Thats not much give. For drilling you can use a diamond coated hole saw for glass (spendy and only do one size) or you can use a dremel. I actually prefer the dremel on the 10. Less weight. Just keep it cool by spraying with water. I use a carbide tile saw bit, mask each side. Mark hole. And go round and round, it really does all the work. Takes like 10 min and patience. Also put something inside to catch the cutting, the worst thing is to drill successfully and have the scrap fall through and break the opposite side!

I just found out that all 10g. tanks I bought from Walmart are tapered. They are not marked as such, but when they break you have 1000 pieces. I tried on 2 tanks which came damaged with same result. They just shatter. I was hoping to have drain holes now I will need to create overflows. Unless someone got better idea.

Cheers

Archived