Flow in a tank??

Chindo

Hey guys... i was wondering about flow in a tank and how you guys come about these numbers and whats a good number.... I have a 180g tank with 20g sump more or less.... I have two eco 1056 pumps for return and two tunze 6060's for flow inside my tank...... the two tunze flow 1600gph so thats a total of 3200 gph them my return pumps pump 1056 gph so thats 2112 gph for a total of 5312gph in a 200g system comes out to about 26x flow..... did i do that right??? and is this to much flow or is there even such a thing.. is more flow better as long as i don't start a whirlpool inside my tank.. thanks

Your turnover rate may be different than you have calculated. Pumps are typically rated at max flow (zero restriction) or line loss. Your Eco pumps are rated at 1056 gph for 0 ft head. I'm sure you are pumping to some elevation, so the pumps would produce significantly less than the max rating. You would have to calculate the line loss based on the type of plumbing, length and height that that you are pumping too in order to get an accurate flow number for your return pumps. Also the amount of water in your tank is reduced by the amount of sand / live rock that you have displacing the water. (if you drain a 180 gallon tank filled with rock, sand, ect. you will have less than 180 gallons of water).

I dont know that there is a magic number but you want to have good flow through out the tank no dead zones, and its better to increase flow tank side rather than trying to push huge numbers through the sump because then you will not get as good of filtration from the skimmer or the fuge area. Correct me if I am wrong but that is what I have gathered from my studies =) Also as far as flow goes some corals like more flow then others wich can play a factor in how much flow you need in the display tank.

Good point Nate213 i had not thought of that.... which brings me to my next question is a big turn over rate necessary??? Im sure it is better but how much is a good number to reach....

From what I have read and used on my tanks the turn over rate should be 3-5ish times turn over rate(540-900 for a 180 gallon tank).

Then you have flow in the tank. The thought on this is ever changing, but seem to be more is better. I would say 20x display tank volume is the least I have used. Then 79x is around the most. Seen more and less but every tank is different. Changing flow seems to be what is thought of as the "best" as of now. This could be from a wave maker, oscillating power head, surge system, wave box, variable speed power head with controller, power heads.

"I" think the key is to try and keep the dead spots to a min. and getting waste out. While getting food/flow to the corals.

There are many reports by well known aquarist about flow and would recommend looking at a few and pick what you feel is best for what your going to have in your tank

Archived