open bottom tank

Burningbaal

Hi all,

I'm toying with the idea of upgrading my 55 to either a 60 cube or 90 (3'x2'x2'). but that's not really the point here. My thought is for a pretty wacky idea.

If I do that, I (and my wife) really love the idea of an open-bottom addition to it. I'm imagining a 1'x1'x1' cube (or maybe two feet wide if a 90 gallon main tank) that would sit on it. for below discussion I will have "MT" for the big (main) tank, "UT" for the upside down tank and "sump".

I think I would have the UT's be 20" tall and have the top of it 12" above the MT overflow height. that way the MT water level can drop 8" without loss of suction. I would have a small closed loop (probably 10x of the UT volume) plumbed out of the top of the UT and into MT, obviously with a self-priming pump. I'd also put a gate on an airline so I could slowly drop the water out of the UT (in case of major water change/removal/etc). I'd make sure the sump has an extra 10 gallons of overflow height in case the UT loses suction and drains, it would overflow the MT and go into the sump. the MT would use a bean animal coast-coast overflow (probably external). sump return would just go the MT (the closed loop would get water flow to the UT). this would make my display about 105g with a 90g MT, or about 67 gallons with a 60 cube MT. I'd probably run about 50% of the total DT gallons in the sump + the extra height for surge (if UT's suction is lost). sump would house skimmer, chaeto, heaters, return pump, maybe some rock, possibly a time-out space if there's room.

anyone ever try these? how crazy am I?

mistking.com looks promising. for a diagram, try just looking at youtube for open bottom fish tank, something like:

$100-$150 is reasonable, assuming it's safe with saltwater. I'm thinking I'd set up the 60 cube or 90g and leave my options open to add this in the future. basically all it costs is the glass, silicone, a bulkhead or two and the pump. The biggest challenge is making sure my snails can get to the glass and sorting out the lighting.

getting advice:

pro's cons for (all are L x f/b x H)

60 cube (2x2x2)

90 (3x2x2)

90 (4x1.5x2) (taller than front/back)

90 (4x2x1.5) (shorter than front/back)

112 (5x1.5x2)

I think I'll light with 6-bulb T-5 + moonlight, I'd like use a ~25 gallon (of water) sump that I have, DT will definitely be glass. I lean towards the 3x2x2. what do you think? I'll put it on a extra tall stand, probably have the bottom of the tank ~39" from the floor

Archived