This is a cruel hobby

souperman

I'm going to whine a little.

So I have been putting together a tank I have been wanting for years. After months of saving and planning I was finally ready to add water and salt to my setup. I watched the empty tank for almost 2 months while it cycled with a piece of tilapia fillet. I am now watching a nearly empty tank once again after an Ich outbreak that killed off my Kole tang and one of my black and white clownfish. I figure I can add the fish back again in January when the parasite has died off in the DT. Every fish that goes into my tank will now be going through at least a month of QT, something I should have been doing to begin with.

I came home yesterday to the chewed up remains of my beautiful RBTA. He had decided to run all the way across the tank to see what it looked like after a few weeks of hanging out in one spot. Unfortunately I had removed the prefilter from the MP40 on that end thinking he was going to stay there for a while. This happened way faster than I thought. I was under the impression I'd see him begin to move and could put the foam sock back on the power head before he got into it. He is now in my sump barely alive.

I feel somewhat hopeful as I seem to be winning the battle with the brown slime, and my pod population is exploding. The corals I have look healthy, even though they are not exactly exploding with growth. My remaining black clown is clear of ich now. I'm thinking about a standard orange occ. to pair up with him.

I am by no means ready to tear it down and give up. I am only beginning to understand the patience and diligence a successful reef requires.

Thanks for listening :)

Thanks for the kind words guys. The RBTA looks really puffy and swollen. How can you tell if it's dead? Right now he's floating in a baggy in my sump. Every few hours I remove some of his water and replace it with some fresh. I'm worried he will crash my tank if I leave him in.

Thanks for the offer rich, I'll keep you posted...

The same thing happened to my RBTA 6 months ago and I put him inside a solo cup with holes to allow for water exchange (but small enough to prevent it from escaping). I put the solo cup in the sump (top of the cup slightly above water) with a small light for 2-3 days and it was just fine. RBTA's are pretty hearty.

When they die they will lose their grip on whatever they are attached to and turn clear over the 1-2 days following it's death. In my experience they shrivel and become really small before they die. I think it's somewhat normal to be puffy and swollen due to the stress. They will also look swollen when they are trying to relocate (if moving to the right, the right side swells).

I think everyone goes through this at one point or another. I have had my shares of ups and downs. In a bit of a downer right now. Hoping to come back up with new bulbs on the way. In the last 4 years I have flushed so many fish and lost so many corals its sickening. I sorted out the fish deal and only just recently lost my first fish in about a year(fred the diamond goby). Had a bad string of luck with sps and have decided to give that up until I know for sure I can care for them properly.

In my first year i battled ich, marine velvet and numerous tank restarts. My 180 is coming up on 3 years I think and I have been lucky with the fish part. Algae, coral loss are frustrating. But then I sit back and watch my tank for a while and remember why I got obcessed. Its wonderful.

Give it time, take your time. The rewards are worth it. I find taking a break from the obcession has helped me appriciate it more.

Good luck and keep your spirits up.

I lost all my fish to ich or velvet (still not quite sure wich one) a while back but while iwas waiting to put fish back in my i disvovered the wonderfull world of inverts there are so many kinds that can keep you just as entertained as fish while you wait.and they can help with any algea problems you may have

This hobby eats money and breaks hearts like no other.

I keep coming back for more though.

I lost 9 fish on a disease outbreak, only one survivor, it was like marine velvet or something. After that I bought a sterilizer as I had no room for a quarantine tank, That really helped me out a bit. I havent run it in my current tank as I downgraded to a smaller sump, but I will run it in my 240g.

I lost all my fish to ich or velvet (still not quite sure wich one) a while back but while iwas waiting to put fish back in my i disvovered the wonderfull world of inverts there are so many kinds that can keep you just as entertained as fish while you wait.and they can help with any algea problems you may have

Any suggestions for entertaining inverts? I have a few emeralds, some hermits, and a load of snails. I was thinking about cleaner shrimps but I'm not sure if he'd be bored without fish to clean. Oh and a sifting star I never see.

my cleaner shrimp is all over my tank and swims alot he is very enjoyable to watch an my youngest daughter loves it, sally light foot crabs are fun they look kinda more like a spider than crab. the large silver dollar sized hermits are cool too i have one big one that cruises the sand every morning. there are several kinds of cucumbers that are interesting to watch but the most active i think are the shrimp you could get a harliquen but you'll have to buy starfish to feed it but there are sure neat. I'm sure garrett can tell you when it somes to shrimp there are many variaties

Archived