Help with LED

beliak

So I believe I have everything I need to build my LED array, but I'm having issues with it. Soldering isnt going well, at all. I know how I eventually want it to look, for the most part. I just need help getting it together. (flame)

I just joined up on the site, but I was wondering if anyone in the Salem area has experience building LED arrays? Maybe you could show me a thing or two, or even build it for me? I'd be willing to pay a little for the time and help. I just dont want 300 dollars worth of LED to go to waste. And I'd really like to see this light over my tank as opposed to the reptile dome lamp thats on it. (comp)DOH!

I've looked at a-lot of threads, I just don't think its working so well. I think the soldering is whats giving me the most trouble. Thats why I mentioned I'd be willing to pay someone to put it together for me, heh. It doesnt even have to be completed, I just need help with the wiring.

I think maybe its the soldering iron im using. I bought a 30 Watt iron from Radioshack, didnt know a thing about soldering except that I needed Solder, and 2 things to solder together. Needless to say, i ****ed the tip up. Went to replace the tip, Radioshack doesnt even carry replacement tips for that product. So I bought a 40 Watt iron and a replacement tip. Learned that I needed to Tin the tip. Tinned the tip and not 3 solders in, the tip was already oxidizing...

I'm also a nub in that I put all my Whites on the sink before putting any solder on the leds... My dad tried helping with it, but he was leaving the solder on the led pads for 10-15 seconds just to get the solder to melt... So im also hoping that the LED's arent fried. >.>

I think maybe its the soldering iron im using. I bought a 30 Watt iron from Radioshack, didnt know a thing about soldering except that I needed Solder, and 2 things to solder together. Needless to say, i ****ed the tip up. Went to replace the tip, Radioshack doesnt even carry replacement tips for that product. So I bought a 40 Watt iron and a replacement tip. Learned that I needed to Tin the tip. Tinned the tip and not 3 solders in, the tip was already oxidizing...

I'm also a nub in that I put all my Whites on the sink before putting any solder on the leds... My dad tried helping with it, but he was leaving the solder on the led pads for 10-15 seconds just to get the solder to melt... So im also hoping that the LED's arent fried. >.>

I think my first 2 builds may have been a 30 watter, I ended up filing the tip away and could not fing replacements so I grab a 30 or 40 watt unit from Home Depot whose tips I could replace.

In my experiance its the LED that you tin, and just touch the solder to the tip of the iron to get a small ball that fuses with the spot on the LED ypu tinned. You will want a metal file to clean the tip of your iron every so often, thats why I needed a new iron, slowly I filed the tip to nothing.

My 1st mistake was not going +/-/+/-, I went + on the led for both incoming and outgoing to the next WRONG-that was the first of 3 resolders.

Basiclly heat the LED enough to tin a small spot, then touch the solder to the tip of the itron forming the small bead you will then use to solder the wire to the LED. Just remeber + in - out or - in and + out.

I bought all my kits from the place I linked earlier and followed their plans (eventually). It can be frustrating, I have had sections that would not light at first and after replacing the wire it did-go figure on that 1, really the wire, that was the issue-WTH.

After the first 1 the second was easy and the 3rd was a breeze and so on.

Something to consider is some shield to keep the "splashing " from hitting the LED's-I'm going to get a "L" bracket and attach it to the heatsink, and then buy a couple of pieces of glass to slide onto the bracket so it rests on the lower part of the bracket. With the galss the fish wont splash like they have and short out an LED which has happened.

BLAH BLAH BLAH-(laugh)

Good luck-

You will enjoy them I am sure-I have read countless threads were people dont like the LED fixture they bought and are going to back to what they had-

My DIY's blow any MH fixture I have ever owned away and the color and growth are better too.

I have no doubt that i'll like them. If not for the color, for the fact that theyre a ton cheaper to power than any other fixture too. I think I'm going to get a new soldering iron from somewhere other than Radioshack maybe. I might try putting some solder on the royal blues I got that arent on the heatsink and see if they work better.

I have no doubt that i'll like them. If not for the color' date=' for the fact that theyre a ton cheaper to power than any other fixture too. I think I'm going to get a new soldering iron from somewhere other than Radioshack maybe. I might try putting some solder on the royal blues I got that arent on the heatsink and see if they work better.[/quote']

If you do it that way dont run them long they hot VERY fast (within a few seconds they get to hot to touch) and can fry.

I would advise against it myself just to be on the safe side.

Home Depot has soldering irons that work for around 20.00 if I recall-you just want one that you can replace the tip and dont use the pointed tips but the flat ones that you can file on each side-just a few swipes across the file to clean the tip of the accumulated solder

Just sent you a pm with my number. Soldering LEDs is a PIA :) but once you know the secret it's easy!

Attach the LEDs to the heatsink first.

As mentioned earlier, just file the tip of your soldering iron (30 watt) to shining surface.

Take a blade and clean out the metal surface of the LED where you are going to solder. Put some soldering flux, just a thin film of it! Touch that surface with your heated soldering iron. The flux will melt in a few seconds giving out fumes! Now touch your soldering wire(or solder) to the tip while it is in contact with the LED. The solder wil melt and attach itself to the LED as a bead. this process should not take you more that 15 second!! If it does remove the iron and things cool down and repeat. You don't want the LED becoming too hot and get damaged!

Now take the wire you want to solder to the led and just dip it in the soldering flux. Melt some solder on the tip of the soldering iron and touch the pre dipped wire to this tip. The solder will coat the wire, remove the wire and let it cool down. Again, 15 second tops!!

Now touch the coated wire to the LED and touch both of them, the bead on the surface of LED and wire together with hot iron. The solder will instantly melt and fuse. Remove the iron quickly while not moving the wire while things cool down and will have a wire soldered to LED. it may look complicated as I write it, but once you do it, it's pretty simple. And practice makes it perfect! It took me about 20 LEDs before I got the hang of it.

Hope this help! If you need further help do give me a call.

I think my first 2 builds may have been a 30 watter, I ended up filing the tip away and could not fing replacements so I grab a 30 or 40 watt unit from Home Depot whose tips I could replace.

In my experiance its the LED that you tin, and just touch the solder to the tip of the iron to get a small ball that fuses with the spot on the LED ypu tinned. You will want a metal file to clean the tip of your iron every so often, thats why I needed a new iron, slowly I filed the tip to nothing.

My 1st mistake was not going +/-/+/-, I went + on the led for both incoming and outgoing to the next WRONG-that was the first of 3 resolders.

Basiclly heat the LED enough to tin a small spot, then touch the solder to the tip of the itron forming the small bead you will then use to solder the wire to the LED. Just remeber + in - out or - in and + out.

I bought all my kits from the place I linked earlier and followed their plans (eventually). It can be frustrating, I have had sections that would not light at first and after replacing the wire it did-go figure on that 1, really the wire, that was the issue-WTH.

After the first 1 the second was easy and the 3rd was a breeze and so on.

Something to consider is some shield to keep the "splashing " from hitting the LED's-I'm going to get a "L" bracket and attach it to the heatsink, and then buy a couple of pieces of glass to slide onto the bracket so it rests on the lower part of the bracket. With the galss the fish wont splash like they have and short out an LED which has happened.

BLAH BLAH BLAH-(laugh)

Good luck-

You will enjoy them I am sure-I have read countless threads were people dont like the LED fixture they bought and are going to back to what they had-

My DIY's blow any MH fixture I have ever owned away and the color and growth are better too.

Sorry Brad, didn't read you post before typing my answer! But you are right on with your method of soldering (laugh)

Thanks for the responses. I'm gonna have to wait till friday to give it another go. Fridays payday and I can afford to go get another soldering iron from somewhere other than Radioshack. I guess if I can't figure it out, I'll have to make a road trip and hunt one of you guys down, rofl.

Archived