Skimmer Wet-neck: Worth it?

andy

Skimmer Wet-neck: Worth it?  

1. 1.

• Gimmick, no thanks!
    • Nice feature, but I wouldn't pay extra for it.
    • Gotta have one! I'd pay extra for it.

OK a term I haven't heard' date=' wet- neck, explain. Please, or a pic[/quote']

Imagine a process/device allowing a very thin sheet of water to run down along the inside of the neck of the skimmer, washing away the organics that accumulate there. Those organics impede the rise of the bubble column, reducing skimmer efficiency -- keeping the neck clean makes for a more efficient skimmer.

Like Rich mentions, there aren't a lot of straightforward DIY designs out there... but I have an idea or two (nutty)

OK I get it now. Would be great to NOT have to clean it every week. But I have heard of wipers for the neck, but still would have to be cleaned. I'm setting up an RPC3000 on the new tank. I wonder if a small 360 spray from a micro sprinkler, mounted in the center of the........... Hmmmm I think I hava an idea :)

The problem with the sprayers if they are not designed right they spray the foam back down. I think the Deltec style one would be the best, they are basically a small brush that sits in the next and gets turned on with a timer. I have 2 small motors that would work for the but I have not had the time to design the system to connect to them.

The problem with the sprayers if they are not designed right they spray the foam back down. I think the Deltec style one would be the best' date=' they are basically a small brush that sits in the next and gets turned on with a timer. I have 2 small motors that would work for the but I have not had the time to design the system to connect to them.[/quote']

If the spray is setup to just hit under the lip of the cone (top) and the sprayer is installed upside down from lid, the foam could easily get by, as it would not be touching any sides I see for a few minutes that the gunk and foam column would both be blasted, but I don't see any real down side (in theory) for a couple of minutes every other day. Wouldn't brushed have to be at an angle, like a cork screw, to move the gunk back down and wouldn't that interfere with the foam column, or would it be the opposite, they would lift it out, ( screw it out so to speak) and then would need some type of wiper to get it off the top lip??. Hay all, just asking. I see it as being a great idea to do something. I HATE THE GUNK!!!!(clap)

• 4 weeks later...

OK I have an Idea!!! A 360 pop up sprinkler, inverted. Mounting in the lid. Take a 1/2 in off the return line, avoiding another pump, with ball valve. The head would extend down into the neck, then retract into housing/lid, so there isn't any interference.