Questions about lighting before i upgrade

nelsz3

I want to upgrade my ligting (clap)on the 75g tank. I have and want to continue to have a mixed reef of just about anything. but there are so many options (scratch) and I don't know the difference (pros n cons) of each different setup. i currently have a 4 bulb pc fixture an 2bulb t8 fixture, i don't have a full size canopy for the stand so an all in one fixture is what i"ve been thinking.

So what is the main difference between 174w 250w 400w MH , I've heard that reflectors make a big difference too,

T5's I understand the diff bulb combos but do corals thrive and grow well under them consistantly ?

I was thinking of a dual MH and t5 fixture, or a 6 bulb t5, and then theres led

What is the best choice considering i dont have a canopy to hide them in?

I look forward to your thoughts

I really like my ATI T-5 set. It's a little expensive but I get great Par and I like the look of it without a canopy. If you click the link in my signature you can see it. It's a challenge to have lighting and flow that works well for everything. A lot of people on here are using LEDs too. The cons to the MH's is they put out a lot more heat and use more electricity but they sure give a nice look and shimmer. I just upgraded one side of my tank to a 250 w MH. I found I was not getting enough par out of the 150w MHS I have.

My advice to you would be to check out other people's tanks to get an idea.

Archived