Tidepool Collection 3/24 Equipment?

Hi,

I am collecting from Capa Arago tomorrow. I am very excited.

Here is my packing list:

Collection permit

20 gallon cooler.

Ice blocks

Battery powered air pump.

Fish bags

Rubber bands

Plant collecting calipers.

10 inch net -durable black net.

Pen knife.

Painting spatula

2 five gallon buckets

2 coast guidebooks on marine life.

Lunch and a beer.

Anything else?

Remember I am collecting algae, clams, limpets, mussels, barnacles, tide fish, sea stars, urchins, sea slugs, and more!!!

Anemone collection is making me nervous. The other stuff I am not too worried about. How do I unattach an anemone safely? I've heard to look for ones that are not attached firmly an that are at a good angle to collect. Also, to take your time. Slowly get a flat object under the foot, like a credit card or spatula knife. Am I right?

Most important, IMO, is to resist the temptation to over collect. Far better to have just a few live in the bucket when arriving home, than dozens of dead animals.

You heard correctly about unattaching anemones... peel the base slowly. Take your time being careful not to damage the base. I have always preferred doing this by hand rather than using a putty knife.

Anemones also seem to transport better with just a very small amount of water in the bag.

If bagging sculpins, double bag because of spines, and remember to have a 1/3 water to 2/3 air ratio for best gas exchange in bags.

Gunnels and clingfish tend to hide under rocks(carefully resetting any moved rocks),pools containing eelgrass and macroalgae may yield a good number of fish and shrimp when a net is run through them. I would also take as smaller net for chasing fish, etc. into the larger one.

Don't forget to take pics!

id get some cole chisels and hammer make short work of sandstone when collecting anenomes just work your way around them, oh and if you have any felt bottom shoes will help you not slip id pass on the spiked ones you'll be walking on life eitheir way so you want to lesson damage if you can..

id get some cole chisels and hammer make short work of sandstone when collecting anenomes just work your way around them' date=' oh and if you have any felt bottom shoes will help you not slip id pass on the spiked ones you'll be walking on life eitheir way so you want to lesson damage if you can..[/quote']

I agree with this, spikes will just kill stuff with every step, I have been there before and you will be walking on barnacles every step and trying to avoid the anemones, but those boots will just cause trouble.

Well, my keen hiking boots were fine. Anemone collection went better than I thought. I grabbed two rocks with the animals on them. I refrained from trying to peel them off. The giant green anemone opened up quickly in my tank. The two other species were beginning to open when I left my room.

I did quite well collecting and did not "over do it." I stayed within my limits on the collection form. It was tough getting up the hill as Nyles suggested in December, but I made it up.

5 hours of driving and 3 hours of collecting, but worth it. I'll post pics on the tank thread tomorrow.

Thanks for the tips.

The highlight was finding a Gumboot Chiton. The worlds largest Chiton. This thing is huge!!!!

thats cool, cant weight to see pics! how many times can you collect with that permit? When the weather gets better id love to go with and help!

isnt the giant green one of the anemone's that require strong lighting? did you see or get any of the little purple anemone's thats in Steve's pics?

I would recommend lighting such as four HO T5 54w, 48" tubes. This should work fine for the zooxanthellae in your Green Anemone Anthopleura xanthogrammica and macroalgae, as your tank is only 14" high. Hopefully among PNWMAS members we can help with donating ballasts, T5 endcaps, used hood, etc.

You really need more than the 2 standard output T5s you have now.

• 2 weeks later...
What collection form? How does one get a collecting permit? How much does it cost? Etc. Cool thread!

Here is the full thread for my collection permit and the whole project.

http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3051

As an educator or scientist you may collect after filing a scientific collection form with ODFW.

But, anyone may get a shellfish permit in the state of Oregon. If you stay out of the non-marine reserve type sites listed in the ODFW rules you can collect a limited amount of listed invertebrates per day. The tricky part is fish. All fish are more closely regulated and cannot be transported alive unless you have a sci collection permit. Salmonids are strictly enforced. Non-game species are more easily approved.