A tank for my school

dsoz

I have been talking with my principal for about a month now to see if there is money in the budget for a SW tank for my classroom. I told her that it would be somewhere between $500-$1000. She is a really busy woman with a lot going on so she has put me off until I cornered her yesterday.

She said that I can go ahead and do it, and I'll get reimbursed for anything that I buy (within reason). WA-HOO!

Now the fun begins. On a budget, what would you get for a reef tank for a classroom. I'll probably have some rock left over from the batch I got from SeanF, but I'll need some more (any donations?)

What size tank would be the best? What kind of lights would be the best? What kind of animals would be the biggest attractors for kids?

What I am thinking is a smaller tank that won't take up so much room (space is a premium). Something like the 24g AquaPod. Keep it simple if you know what I mean. If I go with the stock lights, would I be able to keep zoas? Or are mushrooms and leathers the limit? If I bump it up to the 70w MH, I could do more, but then there is an open top that students could mess with... Bad idea.

I am going to be gone for a week for spring break, but want to get something in my classroom in April. At the meeting, someone (I think it was either Chief or Lowman) said once I start the tank, let the group know and I would have offers of animals that people will give me out of their tanks. (me begging again)

I am thinking that if I can pull this one off, I can do some lessons on fragging with my kids. Maybe someone with some experience can come in and show us how to cut up mushrooms, frag zoas, maybe even split a hard coral for our class to watch heal and grow. Another way to share our hobby with the next generation.

Tidalsculpin and Mr.S- I am in need of some serious teacher to teacher advice.

Thanks in advance

dsoz :)

I'd suggest taking a detailed look at the limits you face with respect to the classroom environment. Things like:

What electrical limitations are there?

What plumbing limitations are there?

What is the numerical value of "within reason"?

Can you refrigerate food without sparking rebellion in the teacher's lounge?

What happens to the tank over the weekend or during shorter school vacations?

What will happen to the tank over the summer?

How much noise can you tolerate in class? (aside from the kid-noise (laugh))

Will the desire to feed the annoying kids to a giant BTA be too great to resist?

How much time do you have between now and the end of the year?

^How can you best use this time?

Are you going to expect kids to cover any aspects of husbandry?

I think those kind of questions are the first ones to tackle, then move on to the more specific ones...

My responses will be in magenta

I'd suggest taking a detailed look at the limits you face with respect to the classroom environment. Things like:

It is a science classroom, lots of countertops

What electrical limitations are there? , 4 electrical outlets within 4 ft.

What plumbing limitations are there?a sink about 2 ft away from the "ideal" location. Not RO/DI water though.

What is the numerical value of "within reason"? about $500 +or- $200

Can you refrigerate food without sparking rebellion in the teacher's lounge? small fridge in room. Used as a ghetto chiller for when we raise salmon/trout eggs for ODF&W

What happens to the tank over the weekend or during shorter school vacations? not sure, I'll probably need to come in if longer than 1 or 2 days

What will happen to the tank over the summer?I'll probably take it home

How much noise can you tolerate in class? (aside from the kid-noise (laugh))you havn't been in my classroom. The HVAC unit is on the roof over my room... I usually can't hear myself think. This is a science classroom- balancing between order and chaos is my life

Will the desire to feed the annoying kids to a giant BTA be too great to resist? probably... jk lol

How much time do you have between now and the end of the year? April would be a good time to set up because we start our unit on the biosphere in May/June. Late June is the end of the year. I'd like some 'shrooms and a couple of LPS before then.

^How can you best use this time?aquariums are like little biospheres

Are you going to expect kids to cover any aspects of husbandry?I'd like for them to learn how to test the water paramiters and keep an aqua-log for the tank. Regular monitoring of params, inhabitants, important events, etc. Maybe even learn how to frag some 'shrooms.

I think those kind of questions are the first ones to tackle, then move on to the more specific ones...

I have been thinking about these types of questions, and I think I have most of the logistics worked out (except the one about feeding a kid to the BTA, would a LPS also eat a small kid, maybe the size of a freshman...) :)

dsoz :)

i will come split the monster bta for your kids to watch......Lol. j/k. I think that would be cool. I would do something symbiotic in the tank. Either anemone and clown. Pistol shrimp and goby, both, maybe an angler or rockfish?

Something small like a 30 cube would be good with a 175w halide or even vho's depending on what you want to keep. But imo the majority of h.s. kids like the symbiosis gig.

Well where to start, dive in!!!

I like the aquapod idea. Only problem is.... you are going to take that thing home and fall in love with it in the summer and not want to bring it back to school. You could convince the wife to buy the aquapod and bring your 40 back to school(more stable biosphere).

1. I'd go with a cheaper glass tank, say a 30 gallon and have some kids from woodshop(if there still is one) build a canopy for ya. Keeps hand out!! Place it in direct view of you. A counter across from where your demo desk is a great spot. Especially in those frustrating moments.(flame) Calms the teaching mind.

2.Get an old used mh 175 like the pair that fj4068 guy has for sale in classifieds. 40 for the pair he says. Or get a used power compact. Depends on which direction you go with your coral of course.

I have not stepped into the sps realm yet but may soon. Kids like lps- Some are more interesting to watch for all our add students. Torches and other Eupyllia genus. Can be found cheap too.

3. Then I'd get some base rock 25 lbs or make rock. (marcos rocks -for dead rock) Mr. S has a secret formula. (This stuff might not be cured by the time you need it though.) Buy 10 lbs of really nice rock to seed it. Get a medium sized show piece to act as a focal point.

4. I'd beg for some sand online here. I'd go the goby pistol shrimp route for spring and maybe add a bta clown pairing next fall. Get some shrooms pretty quick. Get some hermits and snails. Consider an urchin or perhaps a small reef compatible serpent star.

5. Look into zoanthids but don't let kids handle them. Don't get anything fancy unless they are donated. ;) I've got some.

6. Algae control.Get a lawnmower blenny. Kids love blennies. They think they are like an eel or something. Good teaching tool on diversity of species.

7. Another fish to consider and I may get soon for class are the yellow headed jawfish and relatives. Beautiful colors, comical and both boys and girls seem to dig em.

8. Consider a diy sump refugium. Very good teaching tool and would fit in nicely with a biosphere project. This will help with long weekends. Minimal food source. Oh, and countertops are an asset..... if you have a hole saw. He heh. Its a science classroom, don't be shy with tools here.

You could make one from a used biowheel filter and donated chaeto and rubble. Don't be tempted to get a mandarin!!!

9. Invest in an RO filter or learn to lift heavy bottles often and pay money to carry them. $150- biggest investment in the project. Very important purchase. If you buy one for home then use it for school. We've got one at school. Good for teaching WQ too. TDS meters are a good topic for chemistry class, eh.

10. I very much like the idea of a symbiotic tank- plan it out. Keep it simple and make sure animals are compatible. Pistol sh./goby + shrooms is probably the cheapest route for now and the simplest.

Yet, this will be very teachable.

11. Do your own research first and yet have kids help you do it. They will take ownership in your tank and will help with care. They love it at first. They tend to shy away from water changes after awhile. Encourage them to stick with it and talk about the tank with tem in passing period. You will have to clean the skimmer no matter what.(laugh) No one will want to help you on that one.

You could assign it during detention though.

12. Ask your dealers for discounts. Many are very supportive of "us". Craigslist, garage sale season is coming up too.

13. Don't be dissapointed but... as you know reefing is a patience/ waiting game. This project might not look like you hope when you are doing the biosphere unit in May. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither are reefs. My coldwater tank had 6 hermits and two clams and a mussel and one little fish when we studied tidepool adaptations. It was not too exciting at first. When I collect this Saturday I'll get a lot more animals but my unit is over for the year. Next year it will "rock."

Take care and PM me if you have any more ????s

Well where to start, dive in!!!

1. I'd go with a cheaper glass tank, say a 30 gallon and have some kids from woodshop(if there still is one) build a canopy for ya. Keeps hand out!! Place it in direct view of you. A counter across from where your demo desk is a great spot. Especially in those frustrating moments.(flame) Calms the teaching mind.

It can calm you but make sure it doesn't distract the students from listening to you. I remember my old chem teacher would wear funny t-shirts and I would spend the whole time staring at it. My favorite T-shirt was one where Curious George died. hehe(laugh)