Are Mangroves a good idea?

Derbird

I was looking up all the great details of my new damsel fish and some how got on a web page about having red mangrove trees in you sump. Funny how that happens online. I was wondering if any one had experience with these (scratch) it sounds odd to put a tree in your sump but after reading about it, it sounds like a pretty good idea.

I would not get rid of the skimmer as a few people said they did. But I was thinking about the best of both worlds aproach here.

Thank you for any information, this sounds really interesting.

I have had them. Think of them more as a cool addition rather than filtration. There may be a little, but I dont think it would compare to a turf scubber. I have also heard they can strip other micronutrients if you have them in bulk, ie for filtration.

I like em myself. I just think it's one more fun thing to grow. When I had my old display up, I had about 12 or so that I grew. Not sure how much they really filtered buy I did notice that whn I added my calcium reactor they really took off. After adding dolomite to the reactor a few months later they grew exponentially. I had an aqualifter with a mist nozzle attachment that I had on a timer 4 times a day for 1-2 minutes. Helped alot.

322b2a9a-7bb8-b08f.jpg

I had 35 in my sump @ one point. But it got hard to do maintenance on the pumps:-( 1 per ever 2 gallons and you may possibly be able to take your skimmer offline depending on how much you feed, and what you keep as far as corals in your tank.

Nice. my only problem is that my overflows are both 24" deep...DOH!. I don't want to put live rock in them and really don't wan the mangrove to be fully submersed in the water. But I really like the idea you had there.

Archived