Drilling my tank for overflows and closed loop.

Hog Head

I was going to use my cordless to drill my tank but the lfs said to use one of these http://beckerindustries1.com/BM3_Tripod_Drill_Press_lg.html . Said that by hand I would get alot of chip out, hole wouldn't be straight , bulkheads wouldn't seal, etc, etc...

Problem is they are close to $600. If I was going to drill alot of tanks it would be worth it but I don't plan on doing that.

So what does everyone who drills their tanks around here do?

I have hand drilled them a few times. Just go slow and take your time. Make sure to put clay in a circle around the hole. Then fill with water(the clay ring). And change it often(the water). Remember the thicker the glass the more forgiving. Happy Drilling

It is half inch glass.

You should have no problems. Make sure your bit is sharp. just let the bit do the work not extreme pressure.

I am going to use a glass-holes kit so the bit will be new. I have 3/8" cordless and 1/2" corded drills. Is the cordless the better choice?

Put masking tape on the inside of the tank so the glass dont drop out i drilled one tank with out the tape on the inside and it cracked the entire side. the 2nd tank i put tape on it and it worked fine had a little chiping but bulk heads sealed fine. I used a cordless drill just go slow and run water on the bit all the time while drilling.

I allways put silacone on the gasset of my bulk heads just for added insurance.

Put masking tape on the inside of the tank so the glass dont drop out i drilled one tank with out the tape on the inside and it cracked the entire side. the 2nd tank i put tape on it and it worked fine had a little chiping but bulk heads sealed fine. I used a cordless drill just go slow and run water on the bit all the time while drilling.

I allways put silacone on the gasset of my bulk heads just for added insurance.

Tape sounds like a good idea. I was going to clamp a peice of wood to the inside of the tank to try to eliminate/lessen chipout.

I would use the corded drill as to keep the speed more constant. It will take quite a bit of time to make the hole. I never used the tape before just a beach towel folded up to catch the glass piece but masking take would not hurt either.

The 1/2" drill has a fairly slow rpm so that shouldn't be a problem.

I have a 40 gal that has a crack through one side if you want to practice drilling holes . you could come get it

I appreciate the offer, but with premium and diesel at $4 a gallon I think I can buy one locally or new for a practice tank.

Thanks again, Eugene

Archived