durso flushing?

mister crabs

anyone have any problems with the backpressure in thier drain line causing thier durso to "flush"?

basically the water level in the overflow raises almost to the top and the it kinda whooshes all at once down into sump. its almost got a set rythm to it. anyone else have this problem? how did you fix it?

I have had this happen a few times before. Couple of things that could cause this. You have a hole in the durso right? If so you might need to make it bigger. How deep does the drain plumbing in the sump? Having it too deep can cause too much back pressure. I just had mine about and inch below the water level.

Theron

bottom bulkhead is blocked because i was going to build the durso inside the overflow box but it took up too much room and then i found out i could do external. the blue thing in the sump is a carbon pad from a powerfilter that i had new in a box. my water level is a bit higher in the return section of the pump now as well.

I have micro bubbles and not sure why....there are no bubbles in the last section of the sump and i dont have a skimmer running yet.

Just take a drill bit that is the size of the hole now, and move it around to make the hole slightly larger. Make it slightly larger until the flushing stops.

Your pump is probably sucking some of the bubbles created when the water flows over that last baffle. Try setting a piece of acrylic or something in there to make a ramp and see if that helps with the MB.

yeah id doesnt flush anymore. i added a second hole actually. but still got the microbubbles. I gonna try a piece of acrylic or glass in the last chamber as a slide as miles suggested. hope it helps

Great!! one down one to go :)

floatswitches.net Get the floatswitch and hanger.

You boil the hanger in some water for a few seconds and it becomes plyable. You don't HAVE to have 2 floatswitches, but one is for backup on my ATO.

Make the hanger

P1010140.jpg

Sitting in sump

P1010141.jpg

Wire it to one side of the wiring to the pump

P3020076.jpg

Pump in bucket

P3020075.jpg

Instant ATO. Piece o cake ;)

You can get em at HD, Lowes, hardware stores. Its just another type of plumbing. Basically there is a metal ring and an o ring where the tubing goes into the fitting. The metal ring clamps around the tubing to hold it in place, the o ring makes the seal. They are on the expensive side IMO, i pay about 4-5 bucks for a JG valve. But they work nicely.

You can get them at Home Depot or Lowes. They sell a threaded version and a quick-connect version; I bought the threaded version (1/4") and just drilled and tapped a hole in an endcap. Don't glue it down, it'll need cleaning (salt creep) once a week or so. I just put an elbow between mine and the standpipe to try and stop it from getting plugged up, not sure if it works yet. (Edit: Not sure the change stops the salt creep plug-up. The valve on the durso *definitely* works)

I use a piece of airline with an airline valve (you know those green things that we all have a ton of sitting around that allows you to control the air in the air line). The airline goes into the hole, then I control the airflow amount with the valve.

I have also found that using a larger outer pipe diameter is beneficial. From the pics it looks like your's is straight one inch all the way through, I make mine so the outer pipe is 1 1/4".

Just my experience :D

I have also found that using a larger outer pipe diameter is beneficial. From the pics it looks like your's is straight one inch all the way through, I make mine so the outer pipe is 1 1/4".

Just my experience :D

I originally did use 1-1/4" PVC for my drain because i had read that it would flow better and it did. But it also leaked. the weight of the pipe of my drain caused a flex in the bulkhead gasket and caused a slow trickle. It hasnt happened with the 1" pipe. The second airhole is working like a champ now but i neeed to adjust the water in my sump and how it falls into the last chamber to get rid of the microbubbles. I should get a new pump as this one is a Catalina Aquariums 1800 and is a cheapie. I am going to get an eheim in a couple months when i have more disposable cash for my tank.