Fishing the Dechutes?

CraigH

Going to be in Sun River weekend of the 14 and 15 of October. Reading up as much as I can on the area. Just picked up the book 'Fishing in Oregon' and trying to get a feel of the area around Bend for fishing. Do any of you nice Bend folks have any hot spots, hot tips and what is good to use as far as flies or lures ? Thanks

Well I do not live in Bend but I have spent considerable time on the Deschutes fly fishing on it. My general rule is that if you are fishing slow moving water go with wooly buggers in brown and/or black. There are big browns in the slow water. If you are fishing faster moving water nymph fish with hares ears and pheasant tails. I would put bead heads on them. I would also fish a soft hackle on the end of it and let it swing through the water column.

If you are going to fish Crane Prairie you definitely need a boat. Troll or strip black wooly buggers in the channels. The fish hang in the channels. Go on line and get a pic of Crane Prairie to see where they are. Also, watch your speed limit on that lake and also be careful, there are lots of submerged stumps out there

If you travel north on 197 to Tygh Valley and go to Shear Falls 40 miles from the dalles you can get a king was up there with a friend and we got 2 kings 1 coho and released 6 native steel head all over 20 lbs. but take a heavy rod and a bunch of 12 and 16 oz weights.

20lb. native steelhead, even on heavy gear, is a nice tug! Roger is already impaling some big anchovies on a 2 ought whooly bugger flies in anticipation....

Nice job guys. Franklin' date=' you and miles need to come on Garretts on Sunday and hang out with me on my first day of fish work!!! :)[/quote']

Road trip, we'll bring the beers (laugh)

I am planning to get up there, but only when he gets some more potters angels cuz i can't really make multiple trips with the new little one....

Archived