pistol shrimp questions

kschaefers

So I've had my tiger pistol watchmen goby pair for about 9 months now, they are pretty much my favorite pair in the tank and over the last 9 months both have grown about three times their original size which is cool but I've been noticing random things missing from the tank since. I think with their bigger size they have grown to be more aggressive, last night I woke up to a clicking sound and I knew what it was so I jumped up and the shrimp jetted back to his hole and the goby had a large piece of something in his mouth almost half he size of him which I assume is either a hermit or a snail, so what I'm wondering, is there any sort of critters or crabs they prefer to eat other then the ones that I buy to clean? I know its not very expensive but I feed them during the day and and if they are feeding again at night I don't want to have to go buy more snails and what not once a week because they keep killing them off, if you have any suggestions please let me know.

Ive kept many groups of goby and pistols and have found that they will protect there borrow from anything including snails and hermits but as far as killing anything the size of a snail I never saw, the pistols usually eat things like pods and scraps left over from the goby, but I never lost a fish in the 8-9 years of keeping them. I don't see the pair putting a huge dent in your wallet or you would be seeing threads all the time on this topic, chill out and enjoy them!

So, I have my pistol and goby in my fuge right now, so they can have their own little world. I'd like to put them in my tank, but I'm paranoid about them destroying my delicately balanced rock work. Should I risk it or leave them where they are?

Archived