Questions about having a bigger tank

NoobtoSalt

Well now that I've sold off most of my reef tank I'm ready to take the next step in the journey to have a 200+ gallon tank. I'm looking at a few tanks that are 8x2x2 (240 gallons). I plan on having a 40-50 gallon refugium and a 20-30 gallon sump. My current house is about 20 years old. Do I have to worry about bracing the floor any differently? I'm guessing not but I figured I would ask just in case.

I'm looking at two different tanks, one is acrylic (should be lighter) and the other is a glass tank (I don't even want to think of how heavy it is)...

Anyways for those of you that either have a larger tank or could help with some suggestions please let me know.

Thanks!

How big are your floor joists in the house if you span the tank across 4 floor joists 2foot on center the load should be just fine I am guessing though that you have 2x10 or 2x12 floor joists =) Is the crawl space under your house big enough to take a look?

The closer you have it to the foundation wall the stronger the floor will be (less leverage). So along a exterior wall. Hope that helps with out knowing for sure how it was built if its only 20 years old I am sure its just fine. If you are realy worried when you build the stand the bigger the foot print the more you distribute the weight. =)

I had a 210 in my living room and found when the kids and their friends jump around the floor would give a little and the tank would sway. So I went underneath and braced it. I would recommend it. Now I don't have to get after the kids for having fun. ;) Do it now or it will be more work after the tank is in and full.(wife)

DSC01315.jpg

DSC01316.jpg

DSC02288.jpg

that age of home, you may have post and beam. i would check the structure bfore filloing. your looking at about 2400 pounds in a small area. that is not including the weight of the tank, stand hood, lights sump and water in the sump. i would definetly check it out. that is like parking a car insid your hous on a foot print of the tank.

that age of home' date=' you may have post and beam. i would check the structure bfore filloing. your looking at about 2400 pounds in a small area. that is not including the weight of the tank, stand hood, lights sump and water in the sump. i would definetly check it out. that is like parking a car insid your hous on a foot print of the tank.[/quote']

This big tank idea is sounding better and better...lol

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Archived