Research Project Part 1: Intro and Donations

Palani

Hello everyone, I am Jansen and I am an undergraduate here at OSU. This spring term I will be going to Hatfield Marine Science Center for some classes as well as a research project. It is titled Recovery from bleaching in cnidarian montipora spp. and hydnopora spp.: How animal nutrition affects recovery time. In other words, does feeding corals from their polyps help with survival and recovery time after bleaching?

Right now I am asking support for this project since I am unfunded. I am asking members, non-members, sponsors, as well as non-sponsors to help provide me with the supplies that I need. Today I went to Saltwater Fanta-Seas, Seahorse, (talked to the owner of) Cichlids and Salt, Waves, and Advanced Aquarium and they have all agreed to help me with one thing or another. Unfortunatly I didn't go to every sponsor today since time and operation hours were permiting. I will go to see them the next time I'll be up in Portland. Or they could respond to this tread with a donation if they wish.

So as of right now I've got two 60 gallon? glass frag tanks from Ryan at Advance Aquarium.

Joel at Waves has donated a 40 gallon? very well used tank that I'll be using a sump for one of the systems.

And Woody at Seahorse has donated random powerheads as well as committing to donate some DT's oyster eggs for feeding.

As of right now this is all that I've got in my possession and other members and businesses have committed to other things as well. If you are sure you can donate some supplies, just post them here on this thread so everyone can see what else can be donated.

I'll take pictures so everyone can see what I've got and how this project is going to turn out.

This is a list of things that I could use:

Lighting: 250 watt MH's or 175 MH's need 4 sets. As well as atinics and/or daylights, whatever anyone wants to give me (t-5's, VHO's, PC's).

Reflectors

2 X return pumps rated for around 600 gph (submersible or external)

heaters

Skimmers rated for a minimum of 125

Wood for making stands and canopys ect...(screws, brackets, and so on).

Paint (preferably white)

Plumbing Parts (PVC pieces, bulkheads, hangover-the-top returns, ect.)

filter socks?

test kits?

supplements?

Sacrifice Large montipora species (capriocornis, digitata), and thin branching hydnopora that I can get a minimum of 20 nubbins (scientific word for frags). 10 in each group (fed and starved).

I don't care what it is, just as long as I can use it. Beggers can't be choosers, if you know what I mean. Thanks everyone.

Jansen:

We have a couple of maxijet 1200's, box of random pvc parts and a couple of sections of pvc pipe you are welcome to. I was also wondering if you have a copy of this papers: "Bleaching, energetics, and coral mortality risk: Effects of temperature, light, and sediment regime", Limnol. Oceanogr., 52(2), 2007, 716–726. I ran across it last week and sounds closely related to what you are planning on working on.

That would be awesome Bob and Bob. I'll take you up on that stuff Lowman Bob. I'll let you know the next time I'll be up in Portland. 180Bob, I'll have to rummage through the box of PVC parts and use the mj1200's. I'm going to see if I can mod them. I know Coker has a mj mod he's willing to lend me, all I have to do is find another one.

Thanks Rich, I know Patrick at Saltwater Fanta-Seas said that he might donate a 250w MH, if he can find it. I've also got one too, so just one more 250w MH and I'll be golden on lighting. Ryan at Advanced Aquarium is donating 2 workhorse ballasts as well, so if anyone has some flouresent stuff laying around... I'll be busy till Friday afternoon since I've got finals wed-fri, so life will be a little crazy.

Ok, I'm game.

If i can get them back eventually that would be nice but no biggie.

I can donate a blueline external pump and a no-name venturi skimmer as well as some more vho ballasts. you would need a seperate pump for the skimmer but it should be able to keep up with the skimming needs i also have a single sheet of reflector you can use. let me know. i also have a 70w MH e-ballast but no pendant or bulb.

Hey guys, thanks a lot. I'll let you know when I'll come over once finals are done so I can take a look at my schedule.

Good News! Randy Reed from Reed Mariculture has offered to help provide all of my microplankton needs. I just got to talk to them about the details. This project is surely coming together, I just got to take care of business (finals) before I 100% dedicate myself to this. Once Friday is over, I'll get a hold of everyone. Thanks again.

Hey guys, I went to Salem today so I decided to talk to Jason at Coral Reef Pet Center. He has agreed to donate some left over wood to build my stands. I think he has all the wood I need, and then some. So I'll be good to go.

I've just got off the phone with my friend who works at Miller Paint in Corvallis, and he has agreed to give me some mismatched paint and some brushes. I've got a lot of left over screws and a drill so I was wondering if I could borrow a chop saw and a skill saw from someone to cut up the wood to size?

I was wondering if anyone could drill two pieces of non-tempered glass for 1.5" bulkheads? I also need 1.5" bulkheads, one for each system.

Here are some pics of the stuff I've been working on:

The tank that Joel donated.

100_0923.jpg

This is it after some elbow grease.

100_0926.jpg

Here are some powerheads donated by Woody.

100_0924.jpg

The brown rectangles standing next to the door are the glass frag tanks from Ryan at Advanced Aquarium.

100_0925.jpg

Does anyone have any 100% silicon so I can build these tanks? If not I'll go to Bi-Mart to get the tubes of silicon. How many do you think I would need? I think I'm going to attempt to glue these tanks together during the break.

This is my little pile that I've got ready for Hatfield. This is pretty much the essentials. LOL.

100_0927.jpg

I'll be coming up to Portland tomarrow (Sunday) so I can talk to more LFS's and to meet up with people who will be helping me on this project. So CHECK YOUR PM'S PEOPLE.

Thank you everyone who has helped and are going to help.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I am at the Hat.(field) right now. I have all of the support I need. I'll be taking up an unused room for my research project, so that is sweet. Not to mention I've got access to a whole bunch of phytoplankton that they are using to feed their mussels, I'm assuming. Not to mention I have access to the ocean water. Well first I'll have to test it to see if it is too polluted and to see if all of the levels are in place. So now would be the time to let me borrow some strontium, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, ect., test kits.

It is a pretty cool place behind the scenes, and I've only been to only a few buildings and offices here. Yesterday we had a look on the research vessel the Wacoma(?). Today we went hiking to the top of Cascade Head to have a view of the Oregon Coast. I highly recommend it, as it is only 2 miles in to the top of the prairie, so it is an unobstructive view of Salmon River and the coast. The hike is not very advanced, so I was able to do it.

Tomorrow we get to go to Boiler Bay to collect some inverts in the tidal inter rocky zones. This weekend I'll be building/cutting my stands to size as well as making a trip up to Portland to talk to some LFS's as well as collect some more donations. I don't have every thing I need, but I'm almost there. I think I'll also be quarintining some colonies that LFS's and other people in the next couple of weeks. If you have some scrap egg cartons, I would love to use it.

It's kinda funny, today I was questioned by my TA, to see if I know anything about stoney corals and why I'm doing this project. So I had to "prove" myself, and show that I know my "stuff." Finally, after two years with keeping SPS, I'm able to use my knowledge for school. I guess she was checking to see if I know what I'm doing, and looking to see if I'm doing this for the right reasons. It seemed like I was being tested.

I've linked myself with my roomate Dan. He has a nano tank and has studied abroad in Australia and has written a 10 page report on coral bleaching. I'm sure he will be a valuable asset to this project. For those of you who will be going to Hatfield for the meeting, you will probably see him there.

Anyways, I keep you guys posted on the next section which will be, Research Project Part II: The Build.