another thrilling DIY LED :D

Dustin

Ok so im finally going to start my build after weeks of time restraints, and general craziness, I will start my build of my LEDs for my future 40B. Im hoping that this thread will be informative, and enlightening. (Haha no pun intended) I will try to give exact prices on everything that was needed, as well as other common questions that I needed answered prior to buying the stuff.

I would at this point like to give a HUGE THANK YOU!!! to Upinder (eugenereef), for all of his help with this build. He has answered all of my dumb questions, and has volunteered his time to allow me to come inspect his lights, give me advice on dimensions and other fun stuff, as well as offer to help me put it all together so I can get a good result from the lights. So thank you so very much Upinder.

Ok back to the build it will consist of

24x 3W Cree XPE royal blue @ $3.60 each

24x 3W Cree XPG cool white @ $4.50 each

4x meanwell ELN-60-48P @ $28.90 each

1x DDC-01 PWM Daylight Controller @ $59

I will list the other materials and prices for all of it later, because I don't remember that at the moment I just wanted to get something up. Stay tuned.

We sized it up and got the pieces for the heatsink cut and basically got the heatsink put together ill try to get pics up tomorrow but I have a wedding to go to so may not get to it also may have decided to go with 36 LEDs Upinder thinks that 48 over this size tank may be overkill and possibly bad for future corals so I've got to plan that out now as well more info will be up soon though

You are very welcome Dustin. Glad to be of help here. From what I can envision, the fixture is going to be really cool and improved over what I have!!:).

And I have become true believer in LEDs. Up until now I was not sure about the coral growth or coloration, but now after about 4 or so months, those of you who have seen my tank would agree that the corals are growing like crazy and the pattern of growth is very natural. They are more spread out like bushes rather than trying to reach out to the light! This could be due to even spread of light in every part of the tank!

Actually you can run more than 3 drivers if you put them into the same terminals but then you can't control them individualy but as I mentioned I believe im going to drop my LED count to 36 and run a driver/w twelve RB a driver/w 12 CW and the a driver/w 6 of each if it turns out as pictured in my head it will be very nice

Ok sorry for not getting an update up sooner its been a busy week for me but I have managed to get the heatsink mostly finished today and now im on my way to a bday party but I will try to get pics up tonight or tomorrow and give some more details thanks for hanging with me on this one

OK so i have updated original post with a few prices on LED stuff keep in mind i got the stuff on sale that being said I'm going to list here what normal price is on the items to give you a better idea

CREE XP-E Royal Blue 3W LED on star @$3.60 each

CREE XP-G R5 Cool White 3W LED on Star @ $5.00 each

Mean Well ELN-60-48P dimmable driver @ $34.00 (i chose this driver because it was compatible with rapid LEDs daylight controller but the other dimmable driver is the same price so it depends on how you plan to control the lights also they have constant current drivers that are cheaper if you don't need dimming capabilities)

DDC-01 PWM Controller @$59.00 (again if you have a rkl or apex or something like that you can get the other driver and wont need this if you don't have one of those as an option this is much cheaper and still does a pretty good job)

other things needed and i will put these in the original post also but for a reply to you kmiller-

for the heat sink i used aluminum strips i think they are 1/16" thick x 1 1/4" wide and 36" long each were around $6.00

also need aluminum channel i don't remember the exact dimensions but i think it was a 1/4" opening doesn't really matter its just used to add surface area to dissipate heat they were also around $6 each i used 5 i think but for a 20 gallon you wont need that much without dimensions for the tank id say 21 LEDs would be plenty of light (10 CW 11 RB) and you would only need 2 drivers and it depends on your tank dimensions how much metal you need then you have wire its like $4.50 for a 25ft roll i bought a roll of black and a roll of red to help tell which light color is which but only need 1 probably

no problem if any of my rambling is confusing at all pm me and i can explain further

i was hoping to get the heatsink finished today but apparently im going to the coast so i will not get a chance probably but tomorrow for sure it will be finished and then im hoping to start wiring and what not next weekend

I do not have a tank set up yet im piecing it together a little at a time and when I move to my own place where I can set it up I will do so :) the light is going over a 40B the light dimensions are 36"x17" I think is the widest point and as far as total cost im hovering around $400 which after doing some research is pretty cheap compared to most plug and play fixtures including some MH and T5 fixtures plus you get the bonus of not replacing bulbs yearly for a 20 gallon tank its only going to be cheaper and again you can cut cost by using constant current drivers if times are tight or if you are still skeptical even after seeing upinders Haha also if you aren't too strapped for time sales come up every now and then like the channel I spent $6 upinder paid like 77 cents for Haha you could probably throw a dimmable setup on a 20 gallon for under $250 for sure id think and that's buying everything full price so that's not too bad

• 4 months later...

soooo im very sorry that i have not updated this thread for so long i have had a lot of personal stuff going on in the last few months and have not had time or energy to finish but this week i have picked it back up and have nearly finished all i have left to do is purchase a plexi glass for a splash guard i have had it on a few times just to marvel at its beauty haha i do not have a tank and due to the afor mentioned "stuff" probably wont for awhile but it is nice to know its done

Archived