Blue-Legged Hermit vs. Scarlet Hermit

Jules

I went to upscales and picked up a few scarlet hermits for my 20g and decided to add one to my 12g to give the Blue a helping hand.

I checked on it not 5 minutes later and Mr. Blue had the poor scarlet tackled and I couldn't get it to let go. I feel so bad.

I didn't realize they would do that to each other. Although, could it be because the Blue has been in there by himself for some time now?

I hear of others putting different species of hermits together and they do fine. Not in this case. :(

I've seen my big blue hermit do that before to other smaller ones. It looked like he was trying to break the shell when I saw it, or pull baby hermie out of it, or something. And mine has never been a sole inhabitant like yours. Maybe he's just showing him who's boss? Cleaning his shell? Glad the lil guy's ok.

Hermits are pure evil. I used to love my hermits, I made sure they got lots of spectrum and even formula one on occasion. Most importantly I gave them lots and lots of shells, what did all this get me in the end? An army of battle hardened warriors with impenetrable armor, who would harass my nems until they regurgitated their dinner. I even had a fuzzy and Halloween hermit develop a taste for LPS.

LOL I think you are right about them being pure evil. I didn't think so till I got these scarlet ones, my blue-legged hermit seems to leave everything alone, (except new comers haha) but I don't have a whole lot of corals like everyone else so that could be a huge part of it too.

LOL I think you are right about them being pure evil. I didn't think so till I got these scarlet ones' date=' my blue-legged hermit seems to leave everything alone, (except new comers haha) but I don't have a whole lot of corals like everyone else so that could be a huge part of it too.[/quote']

I think the blue legs and scarlet hermits are probably the least aggressive, I had larger brown zebra hermits that would pull a blue leg right out of it's shell and eat it!!!

I really liked the neon blue hermits, I had two at one time, then I came home to one of them wearing a 2.5" fighting conch shell. :(

Archived