DIY rock and frag discs

impur

Then i went at making the first real rock. It will be a tall table type rock, so i can mount SPS on top. I had to mold out how i wanted the top of the rock to look. Essentially i'm building the rock upside down.

100_0193.jpg

Supplies

100_0195.jpg

100_0194.jpg

Some salt to make it porous

100_0196.jpg

100_0197.jpg

100_0198.jpg

100_0199.jpg

Cool, thanks Bob thats good to know. Did you add any sand to the mixture?

I had done 1 part sand, 1 part salt, 2 parts cement and about 1 part water in this mix. I am gonna stick with the mixture since its close to yours and just add the oyster shells/crushed coral for even more porosity!!!

• 2 years later...

I found that leaving them out of water in the yard allows them to cure faster than when in water. It has something to do with absorbing carbon dioxide from the air...

If you "water" the rocks with a sprinkeler or a hose once a day, or leave them out in the rain it should help as well. After leaving rocks that I have made out for a couple of months I can put them in water and have no problem with the pH.

I have about 100 lbs in a tank that is set up with a couple of damsels in there. There are also featherdusters growing all over the place and stomatella snails galore! Once the rock gets covered in coraline algae you can't tell it is not from the ocean.

I have at least 200 lbs more that are soaking in fresh water, or in my backyard waiting for room in my rock tank.

I am still selling it at $2/lb. Fully cured and supporting life :)

dsoz