Ich and Sailfin Tang

nhowe

I quarantine my fish in the frag tank now and the Flame wrasse developed ick. We debated doing hyposalinity , putting him in a tank and treating with cupiramine but in the end we decided to leave it alone. The clownfish got it too but ultimately everyone was able to fight it off and did well. Fortunately it was only like a 2 week ich cycle.

We did not use garlic. We did not use a reef safe ich treatment and it just went away on its own.

No offense meant here at all, but if your fish in the tank have not been treated for ich, its kinda silly to treat new fish for it.

No offense meant here at all' date=' but if your fish in the tank have not been treated for ich, its kinda silly to treat new fish for it.[/quote']

If we were going to treat the flame fairy wrasse we would have kept it in the treatment tank for 2 weeks and then put it in the main tank not back in the frag system. It just seemed easier and less stressful to the fish to see if it would run it's course and it did. remember we have like a million tanks at our house Miles! (laugh_

I think calling ich, cancer might be a little extreme. I have been reading a lot on ich. Seems like jury is still deliberating on the topic. Some think all fish carry ich, even healthy fish. And surfaces when stressed. Others think tanks can be rid of ich by taking fish out of DT and treating them. Problem I have with this theory is that what if somebody adds snails or crabs or nems. Ich could be reintroduced without anybody even knowing it. if you have healthy fish that never show signs. Then people think that they have a ich free tank and actually have ich in the system. Unless you run copper or meds in the tank all the time. i don't think there is anyway to avoid ich.

I think a better comparison is like staph on humans. Staph is everywhere on the skin of humans, but doesn't cause any problems till a cut is opened or a surgical instrument isn't cleaned. Then staph has the possibility to kill.

It was a metaphor, i also used the flu. You can take it at face value and see the point I was making, or critique and analyze it. But i was just making a point.

There is absolutely a way to ensure you do not have the ich parasite in your tank. You QT everything, like i stated previously. I even QT snails and hermits.

Archived