Help with sump goo

wegotjs

I was looking closely in my sump and found there is some kind of alge, bacteria, sponge growing

all over. I think it came in on some LR rubble I put in there from about a month ago. I don't have

any light's on the sump . Any idea's on what it is? How to kill it? It really is spreading fast and starting to cover my pumps.

post-192-141867766149_thumb.jpg

post-192-141867766152_thumb.jpg

post-192-141867766155_thumb.jpg

I've got all kinds of small sponges and tubeworms growing in my sump, though nothing like your first photo (which is kind'a gross, in a hobby that has a fair bit of kind'a gross stuff). I don't worry about them, they're all filter feeders

Since sponges are nutrient sinks I guess it makes sense to 'harvest' a portion of them when the population gets large. That way, if the sponges start to crash you reduce the total amount of nitrogen and phosphorus that would return to the water column. Just thinking out loud here...

Steve tyree has done a bunch of research on these, and from what I understand they aren't really "nutrient sinks", but they actually break down the organics (nitrates) into energy, much like we do sugar, and tissues. I would remove any that die off, but when it comes to sponges its really the more the merrier, and they grow too slow to respond well to much harvesting