Rock Drilling

Algae

I'm gonna drill some BRS and live rock and had a couple of questions about the rods and drilling for doing some aquascaping (Am I the only one that feels that aquascaping is a tad of a pretentious term?)

I assume I would not need a hammer drill. I did see a nice 1/2" VS PC hammer drill on close-out at Jerry's for $59 and it would be a good excuse to buy another tool at a great price.

I have seen where people use "driveway markers". I wondered WTH they were 'til I found out they are 6 ft. fiberglass(usually) rods that people in snow country use so they can find there driveway after it snows. LOL. None in stock around here! And shipping a 6 ft. package of 2 or three rods kinda hurts the deal a bit. Maybe I should get Clay to pick up some the next time he goes to Bend? (listening Clay?). The nice part is that I have seen where people make a doughnut ring of epoxy around the hole and rod and push it together. Epoxy and fglass works great together.

The other alternative is to use extruded acrylic rod. Is that going to be strong enough? I suppose you use 1/2 inch bits and rods?

I would be concerned a hammer drill would fracture the rock. I'm sure a masonry bit would work great. I have always just used a regular steel bit. Bit is not to good for anything else afterwards though.

I would be concerned a hammer drill would fracture the rock. I'm sure a masonry bit would work great. I have always just used a regular steel bit. Bit is not to good for anything else afterwards though.

Yes but it is really a good deal for the hammer drill at our local HW store for $59.

http://www.toolking.com/porter-cable-pc650hd-hammer-drill?ci=1

Besides I need a 1/2" chuck for some bits. I could set the hammer to 50,000 bpm and do my own root canal or drill Katrina and Drew's tank in seconds.

I would buy the hammer drill, borrow someone else's bits so I dont ruin my new bits that came with the hammer drill. They make plastic threaded rod from Macro rocks which I bought but didnt use. I went with the Epo Putty, built some of the pieces on the bench while it was curing then "Aquascaped" the rest in the tank the day I was ready to fill it

One day you WILL need the hammer drill!

• 2 months later...

Archived