Live and Learn

k9flash

Well I knew it was bound to happen. Killed my first coral. (sad) Took a gamble and went to a different reef store to try it out. Wife found a very pretty pink coral that she really wanted. Guy told us it would grow well in an sps tank and that it was a relative to the kenya but a little slower grower. Sounded perfect to add some color.

Got it home, and after struggling to make it happy, we do some research and find out its a carnation coral with a very high mortality rate and almost no chance of survival in the home aquarium. We nursed it a long for a month before it finally melted. $80 down the drain.

Needless to say I have a new respect and admiration to my normal reef guy (Garrett) who has yet to steer me wrong on a purchase and I will never again visit the other place who clearly was more interested in making a sale than educating a customer.

Ya sometimes I see stuff in store tanks and I wonder who is going to buy that? Unfortunately a lot of it gets sold to people who don't know what they are looking at. You've got the right idea sticking with someone you trust.

Been there my self. It sucks that some people just want to make a quick buck. They don't think about the money in the long run of a returning customer. But there are the good ones out there that do know how to run a business.

I appreciate the trust and continued business!

Sometimes corals can die for no known reason which can be very frustrating.

We all know of businesses out there that are more interested in the coin than the relationship with the customer but who knows, maybe it wasn't the case here. Sometimes its just more of a matter of a stores employee knowledge level, especially in a specific niche hobby such as ours. I will say that a carnation coral is probably as far away from an SPS tank inhabitant as a coral can get though lol. They could have told you that it would do well in a nutrient rich, lower light tank more gorgonian or softie dominated. It probably would have been nice to hear that it is also a coral that very few have real longterm success with.

I had a couple of colors of carnation that I was growing for some time. The tanks were pretty dirty in terms of nutrient load. I dosed lots of phyto and oyster eggs and didn't even skim but rather just did small water changes. They seemed to do well though after I sold them I am unsure of how long they lived. It's too bad these corals aren't one of the easier to care for corals because they are just so pertty.

Yeah once I figured out what it was I took it out of the sps tank and put it in my daughters lps tank. It did ok for a while but I just couldnt quite get the flow and nutrient level high enough for it and it fizzled. But hey, I'm learning. LOL.

Archived