gluing corals

kschaefers

So about three weeks ago my girlfriend couldn't live without this massive hermit crab and almost every day since he's knocked over a different coral (flame) so I guess its time to start gluing them down, any tips or suggestions on a good brand or what works best for you would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

I think the best glue is the IC gel, in a purplish container. The two part epoxy is awesome also. If you glue the frag to the epoxy, then glue the epoxy to the rock, it will be permanent and never come off. Just make sure you like it in that spot! (laugh)

(laugh)glue the crab to the sump!!(laugh)life will be easier

i had a huge emerald crab that would pick up frag plugs and pull polyps off the plug. he would not eat them but he was a destroyer...

i use the epoxy and superglue both surfaces to the epoxy. hopefully that make sence.

the bigger crabs look cool and all but they are a pain in the rear... it was only a day before the big guy made it to my sump. make a disply sump of sort so she can still see the crab. between turbo snails, tuxido uchins and huge emerald crabs. i have become more reserved in my clean up crew. they have cost me some nice chalices and corals. a magnetic frag rack out of its reach would help too if you have frags you are not ready to attach yet.

I get the superglue gel at the dollar store. Three .10oz tubes for 1 buck. Best stuff out there. Dry off bottom of frag/rock/plug, add glue, push onto rock and twist a little then hold in place for about 30seconds and you are golden!

Aquamend epoxy is also good, you can get it at HD. It'll make your skimmer go nuts for a little while afterwards.

Now that I think about it' date=' it's any glue that says cyanoacrylate. I've bought some at dollar store, home depot, michael's and hobby shops. I just prefer the IC over all of them.[/quote']

Yah its the same stuff, just different packaging. Here is what I look at though:

The Original Super Glue Gel - 3 pack .10oz per tube = 9 grams of cyanoacrylate for $1

IC glue - 1 tube .7oz per tube = 20 grams of cyanoacrylate for $5-$9

So for $2 i can get pretty much the same exact amount of the same exact thing that you are paying at least $5 for :D

Yah its the same stuff, just different packaging. Here is what I look at though:

The Original Super Glue Gel - 3 pack .10oz per tube = 9 grams of cyanoacrylate for $1

IC glue - 1 tube .7oz per tube = 20 grams of cyanoacrylate for $5-$9

So for $2 i can get pretty much the same exact amount of the same exact thing that you are paying at least $5 for :D

DOH! You've got me there!! I used to have a friend who worked at the hobby shop and bought it for me at cost - $2. Friend moved and now I see the error of my ways. (plotting)

Mushrooms don't die, they just multiply. I've used a scalpel to cut through the rock under a mushroom and still end up with a new one popping up in that spot a couple weeks later.

Nice thing about the smaller tubes of glue is that if you make a mistake and leave the cap off or whatever you waste 25 to 40 cents, not 5 bucks.

Archived