zoa freshwater dip?

Drew

I just got a small frag of some zoas last night from LFS. I forgot to dump out the container i used to acclimate. Today i noticed a couple of flat warms inside it (flame)

Should i pull the frag out and freshwater dip it? If so how long do i freshwater dip it for? (scratch)(scary)

Do you have any Iodide/Iodine? I would put a couple, 5 or 6 drops of it in the aclimation bag if you have some then wait for 5 min then just rince them with fresh water before going into tank, or if you have flatworn exit or coral RX ( whitch I recomend all reef aquariests to have and use one or the other leaning more twards Coral RX, to dip all there new corals before they go into there tank, and no it dosn't matter who you get your corals from they should all get dipped!! ) use one of them in the aclimation bag, then fince with fresh. I have tryed freshwater dipping Zoas and they dont like it very much and the flatwarms will outlive the zoa's in freshwater most of the time.

To properly do a freswater dip on zoas to where you don't stress them you should use ro water and match the ph and temp of your main tank. I have seen people just use straight RO water and most zoas seem to do okay with this too but if the colony is already stressed the shock from the temperature change and ph change could do them in completely. You should dip the zoas in the fresh water for 5 minutes and shake them a little to free up any dead pests.

I don't typically do this because I don't want to wait for my ro water to warm up. I usually just get some water mixed with revive and let the zoas sit for a little while. Inspection is also very important because the revive and freshwater will kill pests but do nothing for egg strands as they are sticky and need to be removed with tweezers. Beth usually does the inspection part because she has younger eyes (laugh)

Archived