Hi, I am new to the Forum

Soncho

Hi everyone I thought I would introduce myself. My name is Phil I got my first saltwater tank in 2004 (12 gal nano cube). It all started when I went to a fish store that specialized in reef tanks and I could not believe my eyes, I had never seen anything so beautiful as a clownfish and it's anemone.

My reef keeping experience has gone in three stages:

1. In the first few years I made all the typical mistakes, bought coral that could not survive under the lighting conditions, did not research the lifestock I bought, was not patient and added things to fast...ect

2. I moved to Portland in 2006 i kept my tank but lost my enthusiasm for the hobby, I fed my clownfish and did water changes but never improved my tank or my knowledge.

3. Now I have a 24 gallon tank with a mix of Zoas and mushrooms and a few LPS (i still have "soncho" my original clownfish that I bought in 2004 just turned 7!), and I have regained my love for reef tanks, but this time around i am focusing on research and patience (and only buying stuff that will thrive in my tank). I am looking foreword to learning from everyones experience.

I also have 8 month old triplet boys so my time and money is limited (nutty), but the boys love to watch the tank and that is actually what motivated me to get my tank back in shape, I think it will be a great educational tool.

Thanks everyone.

Right now I am working on getting rid of a load of Manjano anemones and hair algae in my tank resulting in a few years of neglect, I am making good progress by plucking out the manjanoes with plyers and picking out the hair algae by hand (plus a large clean up crew). I also started using Chemi pure elite starting last week, anyone have experience with this product?

(I will try posting progress pictures soon)

Thanks everyone.

Right now I am working on getting rid of a load of Manjano anemones and hair algae in my tank resulting in a few years of neglect, I am making good progress by plucking out the manjanoes with plyers and picking out the hair algae by hand (plus a large clean up crew). I also started using Chemi pure elite starting last week, anyone have experience with this product?

(I will try posting progress pictures soon)

I had looked into Chemi pure elite at one point, and I had made the conclusion (and anybody here can correct me if I'm wrong) that it is just a combination of carbon, GFO and some sort of ion exchange resin that performs better in fresh water and salt. For the price, I stuck with the carbon and GFO from BRS.

Archived