Vibration noise from new skimmer...Help please

Nancymacc

So I put the new Eshopps 75 skimmer in the tank this afternoon and wow is the vibration ever annoying...

Does anyone have any suggestion on how to reduce the sound of the vibration?

It is in-sump, not HOB like my BakPak was.

It is in the first chamber of my makeshift sump (used to be a wet/dry), with some rock (not touching it) and the filter sock.

some points of contact that can do this are the sides obviously, the bottom not sitting level, the pump not sitting level, loose plumbing connections, or even the pump not rotating evenly while running. Some things to do or check for. It's pretty simple to put some type of rubber barrier under the skimmer so it isn't actually sitting acrylic to acrylic. you could just silicone on little cone like stoppers to the bottom to act as feet. Also the pumps are best if they have suction cups to help them hold in place if possible. They can rattle pretty bad if they aren't sitting right. For good measure I would take the pump apart and clean/inspect it just to see if you find anything. Then tighten any possible plumbing connections too just to be safe. good luck...

I was thinking of getting one of those little silicon pot holders to sit it on. I think it is because it is acrylic on acrylic or touching something. I will get one of those from TArget on my way home from work and see if that helps. It is a new skimmer and pump. My daughter will lose her mind if she has to listen to it,. She has very acute hearing...I on the other hand am hearing impaired so it does not bother me as much LOL.

I was thinking of getting one of those little silicon pot holders to sit it on. I think it is because it is acrylic on acrylic or touching something. I will get one of those from TArget on my way home from work and see if that helps. It is a new skimmer and pump. My daughter will lose her mind if she has to listen to it' date='. She has very acute hearing...I on the other hand am hearing impaired so it does not bother me as much LOL.[/quote']

That'll work. I used an old mouse pad under one of my skimmers awhile ago because of this same problem.

That'll work. I used an old mouse pad under one of my skimmers awhile ago because of this same problem.

+1 for the mousepad idea. It's worked like a charm for me. If the bottom is not sitting level, that's really hard to see but easy to rule-out by slightly tilting the whole skimmer in all the directions. If it were me, I would use it as an excuse to dismantle the whole thing, and then put it back together.

Ya that is crossing my mind. I am thinking of getting a 20 g for sump/refuge. To have the water depth i need for the skimmer i am at the top end of volume to reduce flood risk if the is pump or power failure. I need to find a cheAp tank and someone to make baffles

Archived