RODI temp?

jonas

This is what i found on the web.Water Temperature - The ideal operational temperature should be 70° to 77°F. Low water temperatures like 50°F restrict the output to half. NEVER run hot or mixed hot/cold water through the R/O unit. Only run COLD water.If i can get my water to a steady 70 degrees would be ok right?

Yes warming your water will increase your output, but so will adding a booster pump, so you gotta way the options and see what is more cost efective. I have been thinking here recently about the whole waste water, using warmer water and such and maybe someone here can chime in on if it will work. Lets say you bring your water in from the hose to a float valve on a barrel, then you plumb from the bottom a supply to a booster pump that feeds the RO/DI unit, then the good water goes to a good water barrel, and the waste water goes back into the first, resevoir barrel. As the good water is made it will allow more water to come into the barrel, and the waste water will be prosessed over and over again. Then maybe just drain the resevoir barrel once a week or something to purge the really bad water. You could also heat the resevoir barrel with a small heater if you like. What do you think?

Yes warming your water will increase your output' date=' but so will adding a booster pump, so you gotta way the options and see what is more cost efective. I have been thinking here recently about the whole waste water, using warmer water and such and maybe someone here can chime in on if it will work. Lets say you bring your water in from the hose to a float valve on a barrel, then you plumb from the bottom a supply to a booster pump that feeds the RO/DI unit, then the good water goes to a good water barrel, and the waste water goes back into the first, resevoir barrel. As the good water is made it will allow more water to come into the barrel, and the waste water will be prosessed over and over again. Then maybe just drain the resevoir barrel once a week or something to purge the really bad water. You could also heat the resevoir barrel with a small heater if you like. What do you think?[/quote']

I think this is a good idea, but running the waste water back thru the RODI will reduce the life of your membrane and filters much faster.

I think this is a good idea' date=' but running the waste water back thru the RODI will reduce the life of your membrane and filters much faster.[/quote']

Thats what I heard to and membranes aint cheap!

This is what Kent says regarding output on RO units..

"There are certain factors that lower product water production. The first is water pressure.

The ideal water pressure should be 65 psi. A water pressure of 45psi will reduce the rated

Gallons Per Day(GPD) by one half. The second condition is water temperature. The ideal

operational temperature should be 70 o to 77 o F, 21 o to 25 o C. Low water temperatures like 50o

F, 10 o C restrict the output to half. NEVER run hot or mixed hot/cold water to the unit. Only

run the cold water. The third and final condition is the TDS or Total Dissolved Solids of the tap

water. These units are rated for 200 ppm(parts per million) of TDS. High TDS can also lower

output."

If your pressure is at 65 Jonas I think you are sitting pretty good.

I just did a bit of digging and found that the NO Waste RO/DI's Use a booster pump and send the water back into the system on the hotwater side. Kinda seems like a loop in itself and some of the water would be ran twice, but much less of it.

Interesting. I didnt think that was a legal install for some reason (the exact term excapes me right now) but its an interesting way of doing it. That way you arnt actually re-using the dirty water when it goes back into your membrane, or at least for the first few gal's depending on your heater size.

Now I remember, it’s called backflow and there are laws against it. I am not positive that doing this with an RO would be illegal but there are deffinantly rules in Oregon regarding backflow and plumbing.

I know right after 9/11 allot of water providers and Government types were worried about it and what terrorists could do with backflow and poisons and such.

Anyways it’s an interesting idea.

Archived