How to plumb a 55g barrel???

finch6013

I have no problem getting a bullhead through the top opening. I can even make the hole larger if I need to, no problem. I just want to make sure that the bulkhead I use has a good seal on the round side of the barrel. I will look up the uniseal

BRS sells uniseals and I believe they even have a video on how it works, check out their site. They are specifically made for curved surfaces. You just have to make sure the hole you drill is exactly what the uniseal size asks for as it's a very tight fit.

I'm guessing you will need a pump in the water anyways to mix your salt up, you might want to check to see how Robert at OIAB has his setup. I wanted to buy his 55 gallon drum when he was breaking down some of the tanks at his house but he took it to the shop. It does not have a bulkhead on it from what I remember but it's a really sweet setup. At some point I plan on doing the same for my water changing station.

If you are planing a small spigot to be installed, ie. 1/2", you should be able to seal with a standard bulkhead on a 55 gal drum circumference as long as the drum had some give in it to reduce the radius slightly in the area of the bulkhead.

Archived