Opions on Kole's

cellowithgills

They are a pretty tuff fish. I have had a few of them thru out several tanks and have only lost one weak one to ich. I have heard of them being bullies to other tangs but I have not experienced it. All of the Koles I have experience with have eaten everything I put into the tank.

Now I've got another question, it's about QT. Does the QT have to take place at your home? Stores say they quarantine, and I know you're not supposed to take their word for granted. I work at the store that has this fish, I know it's been there for some time, I know it eats (I feed it 3 times a week), and I know that it gets treated with copper. So should I be worried about QT-ing it?

Do you have other Tangs? I had my last Kole for many years and all the tangs got along. i recently added a smaller Kole to my tank and the other Tangs just wouldnt let him join in, he was kind of a runt. I'll try another but this time the same size as the others, great fish though very hardy.

QT is up to the reefer some swear by it, a lot don't, that's something you'll have to decide if you want to invest in the equipment,time and patience to do it right

Not sure if it is an answer to a bryopsis problem or not, but it will help. They are detrivores, constantly nibbling at those hard to reach spots. ..eating detritus, and possibly reducing your nitrates over time.

I love mine, and he seems quite tough...hardy.

Beautiful fish and very communal tangs, as steve said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't expect it to take care of the problem. It's a beautiful fish and it may help with the problem. I've been vodka dosing' date=' since I started all of it has turned brown. And yesterday I got my shipped of 2 part mag, 1900ppm here I come.[/quote']

That will kill the bryopsis...but use caution and go slow...a massive Mg shift can be bad for many of your corals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now I've got another question' date=' it's about QT. Does the QT [i']have[/i] to take place at your home? Stores say they quarantine, and I know you're not supposed to take their word for granted. I work at the store that has this fish, I know it's been there for some time, I know it eats (I feed it 3 times a week), and I know that it gets treated with copper. So should I be worried about QT-ing it?

For a proper quarantine a fish should be all by its self for a month. At the store there are probably other fish in the tank with it and everytime a new fish is added the quarantine starts over.

For five years I have never quarantined my fish. I make sure it is eating and looks healthy at the store and that's it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Archived