Bureau of Customs Seizes Marine Species Worth P35 Million

Chief

Evelyn Macairan

Source: The Philippine Star

May 12, 2011

Manila, Philippines - "Customs officials seized some P35-million worth of endangered marine species, including sea turtles, which were about to be smuggled out of the country.

Officials yesterday revealed the illegal shipment included 20 sea turtles (pawikan), black corals (antipatharia) and various seashells such as the helmet shell, squamosa and the tridacna that were all declared endangered.

read more

More...

I think it is the latter. That really sucks. It seems every time there is a bust like this it is from The Philippines. When are we going to stop buying livestock from there? It has been proven that a lot of the fish from there are cyanide caught and other unscrupulous ways. It makes me sick! Everyone should know where their fish and other livestock comes from. Ask your LFS. They should know also.

They will stop importing it when people are willing to buy ONLY higher priced hawaiian, caribbean, red sea, and austrailian livestock. Not gonna happen anytime soon. I remember the days of asking the LFS where the fish came from...getting answers like the ocean, or the wholesaler. They are more concerned with what they pay than the animals previous life...they might say otherwise but come on, its a business for a reason, not green peace.

They wont ever stop buying from this area...things are too cheap, but they can do things to make poaching harder

Yeah I had a LFS guy tell me the ocean once, I have never went back to the store. I can tell you where everything in my tank came from, down to the snails I have. Pity not everyone can do the same. We call ourselves conscientious to the plight of our reef and oceans, but this crap continues. We all know that these collection practices will go on and on until we come together and let these people know, from the LFS to the collector, that we will not stand for this practice any more. I know, I know, it's a pipe dream.

Archived