RBTA Advice

Nancymacc

Update on the tak and RBTA.

I have been changing water regularly all week and now Ammonia, Nitrites are back to zero, still a bit of nitrate, so I am continuing to do 10 - 15 g water changes every other day.

Have Chemi-Pure Elite and Purigen in the sump. I have been changing the filter sock every other day as well.

Fish, and corals seem very happy. Polyps well extended, fish active and eating well.

The RBTA is holding his own for now. He is attached to the side of a curved rock at the bottom of the tank that gets minimal light and low flow. He has moved a bit within the same area but has not completly hidden again. He is not fully inflating during the day but is not completely flaccid either. He took some shrimp the other day as well. Funny too my clown is hanging around him now, but has not made contact that I can see. He is shooing off the Chromis' if they venture near.

So think good thoughts that the RBTA will survive my noobishness...I am doing everything I can to keep him going!!

Im am glad to hear everything made it. It sounds like the worst is behind you.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

So the RBTA is still holding its own. It has not intlated and is just attached to a rock. I tried to give it a piece of shripm the other day and a darn emerald crab stole it....I mixed a bit of mysis in some tank water and squirted it on the neme but I don't know if it is eating. Any feeding suggestions?

Sounds like you are trying real hard to make sure it's ok. As long as your water parameters are good, just watch and see if it comes out of its funk. Ive never seen a nem eat shrimp or silversides when they are not inflated. Watch it close. If it turns white in color, it's toast and you'll want to get it out before it turns to mess of slime and have to change most the water out of the tank.

This was a picture of my LTA when I first got it last year

IMG_1462.jpg

And here is a now picture. That's it on the right side of the tank. It's about 12-14" when it's completely open. I've had this nem in three tanks and I haven't fed it in a really long time.

DSC_0525.jpg

It doesn't really look that bad. I bought a bleached anemone when I first got into the hobby without knowing better. Once it got it's color back I never fed it again, so that's about 5 years without feeding. So if yours doesn't eat for a couple weeks its not going to hurt it.

What about some focused lighting on it?? I was considering a compact florescent spot on it...I will continue to try and feed it and shoo the crabs away. I wondered about giving it some mysis that I have in a syringe and trying to spot feed it like that.

What about some focused lighting on it?? I was considering a compact florescent spot on it...I will continue to try and feed it and shoo the crabs away. I wondered about giving it some mysis that I have in a syringe and trying to spot feed it like that.

I wouldn't put anymore light on it. It really doesn't look bad.

Update: Has moved in the tank a few times and is now hiding in a crevice....Looks the same as he has, it will be impossible for me to actually feed him where he is....He was out the other day and I managed to give him a piece of shrimp but I have my suspicions that the crabs got it again....

Update: Has moved in the tank a few times and is now hiding in a crevice....Looks the same as he has' date=' it will be impossible for me to actually feed him where he is....He was out the other day and I managed to give him a piece of shrimp but I have my suspicions that the crabs got it again....[/quote']

Try scaring the crab away while the anemone eats, it should only take about a minute for the anemone to eat the shrimp.

• 2 weeks later...

So a few weeks have passed and I was prtty sure the neme had died and that perhaps that was what had kinda messed up the tank a bit (turns out it was the high magnesium). I lost some crabs and some turbos... I had not seen the neme at all. Yesterday I moved a rock in the tank and had a look for him and could not find him. The rock was moved more for aquascaping not looking for him, I had pretty much given up on him. Low and behold this morning he is firmly attached to the rock, out in the light !!!! He is all scrunched up ( he looks like a piece of calamari, just a tube with no visible tentacles) but he is still alive and he is in the light!! Keep your fingers crossed that he is on the road to recovery. I will try and give him some mysis later on today after he has settled in there. I do not want to piss him off and get him back on the move, he is in a great location right now.

So a few weeks have passed and I was prtty sure the neme had died and that perhaps that was what had kinda messed up the tank a bit (turns out it was the high magnesium). I lost some crabs and some turbos... I had not seen the neme at all. Yesterday I moved a rock in the tank and had a look for him and could not find him. The rock was moved more for aquascaping not looking for him' date=' I had pretty much given up on him. Low and behold this morning he is firmly attached to the rock, out in the light !!!! He is all scrunched up ( he looks like a piece of calamari, just a tube with no visible tentacles) but he is still alive and he is in the light!! Keep your fingers crossed that he is on the road to recovery. I will try and give him some mysis later on today after he has settled in there. I do not want to piss him off and get him back on the move, he is in a great location right now.[/quote']

Let it fully inflate before trying to feed it anything. Feeding it now will just stress it out more. Anemones can go a long long time without food and be just fine.

What color is the nem? If the nem is white in color there is almost no saving it. It can happen, but isn't too common. A white nem is basically dead. If the nem is still red in color it has a shot at living.

Well I went to take his picture and he has disappeared again. I was in the tank fixing something that had fallen over...I had no idea they could move that fast. Well he is not colored, his outer "tube" is yellow but the middle is pretty white with a hint of pink. I will take the wait and see attitude. He is hiding again so who knows....

• 4 weeks later...

So almost a month has past since my last post. the RBTA moved this morning to the top of a nearby rock. He must have have known I referred to him in another post.

I got some pics of him this morning that really show his current condition. It is pretty much 2 months since it has been this way. I am on constant death watch to be sure he does not foul the tank.

In the pics the one with it shriveled is before I put the lights on the other is after. He responded to the change in lighting immediately

If anyone wants to speculate a prognosis I am interested.

I keep wondering if I should just take him out and get rid of it, but I want to give it every chance I can.

post-8105-141867759772_thumb.jpg

post-8105-141867759773_thumb.jpg

Archived