Good Read for beginners and Experienced Reefers Also

My wife got me "The Reef Aquarium, Science, Art and Technology" by J. Charles Delbeek and Julian Sprung (Volume three) a while back and I have looked through a little but now I have actually started referring to it and reading more, I like it because its current for example it has Vortech's in it in the flow chapter.

If someone is starting up I would definitely recommend it!

Ah Steve. You have found my weakness. I only have Vols. 1 & 2. Now I got to get #3!

I really believe that a couple of reef books are really essential to gaining a good knowledge base of reef aquariums. I have seen too many instances of people posting some very elementary and basic questions after doing extensive web searches that could be easily gleaned from a book or two.

The disadvantage of books that the material can be quickly outdated and expensive (the Delbreek/ Sprung book is $$). The advantage is that it often presents a more complicated and at the same time more integrated presentation. The advantage of the web is that it can be very cutting edged and allow for a dialogue. Unfortunately it may self-promote a "flavor of the month" approach.

"The internets" is a fantastic research tool and we would be at a tremendous handicap without it but there are still distinct advantages to a "book learn'n", IMHO.

BTW: Ya coming down to the Springfield meeting, Steve?

Archived