Finally, after 2 years my RBTA multiplied.

Rick

Well, pretty much anyway. There is still about 1/2" connecting the two. I've had this RBTA for about 2 years now and it finally split. I noticed it disappear under the rock day before yesterday (It's always anchored underneath) and then when it reappeared yesterday it poked itself up on both sides of the rock and appeared to be two. It was big enough before though that it could have just been coming out on both sides. Today it came out the same way so I picked up the rock to check underneath and sure enough it split into two other than a very small portion connecting them. Prior to splitting it was about 21" across (May have even been a bit more). As far as I can tell it split into two equal parts so I expect them both to be fairly good sized. One big RBTA is enough for me so as soon as they are completely separate from each other and fully recovered I'll be selling one of them.

This picture is a recent picture of it prior to splitting (About 5 weeks ago).

attachment.php?attachmentid=11250

post-5811-141867786506_thumb.jpg

Be cautious, one of the two may go on the move once they split (mine almost always do.) I have saved many BTA from my powerheads, I even had one go down the over flow (scary). Then again they both might stay put, you never know.

RBTA stands for Rose Bubble Tip Anemone (Entacmaea quadricolor) Check out http://www.karensroseanemones.net/

I would guess the price for one as big as this was prior to splitting would be between $80 and $100. In the LFS I think they generally start about $50 for a small one and go up from there.

BTW, When I get ready to sell one of these I will only sell it to someone with an established system. (At least 6 months but preferably a year or more)

Archived